Cool Words

So, I’ve decided I like the word gregarious. I am going to try to work it into conversation more because it’s just a cool word. Do you have any words like that? That you just like? Quintessential. Thats another one, but I’m not sure exactly how to use that one, so I don’t. But I like it when other people use it.

What are your favorite words?

1. alexis says:

One of my all-time favorite words comes from a SNL sketch where Will Ferrell spoofs James Lipton from “Inside the Actor’s Studio.”

scrumtrulescent – The absolute peak of perfection

2. junkie says:

Incongruous, succulent, mecca, plethora, nonchalant, superfluous, ecletic, lackidaisical (me, according to my mother)…many that others have already used…the list goes on and on….

3. Magnanimous and hubris. I heart them. And apparently, “I heart [blank]” is the saying du jour in my house.

4. stumblebee says:

Akimbo! Love that. So sad that I rarely have an excuse to use it.

I like copious.

6. supine says:

Ever since high school government class, my favorite word has been “oligarchy.”

7. Amy says:

esoteric is my favorite word…I like they way it slips off the tongue…also amongst my favorites are your garden variety cuss words…

8. Rick says:

Knucklehead is my favorite. Zephyr would be #2. Then in random order; stinker/stinky, lugubrious, twinkie, chuckle/chucklehead, Farfel, cheesy.
    Oh, and Z, you have the quintessential blog (representative of the best)

9. Janice says:

My neighbour alway used the word gregarious to describe herself, but I think a much better word for her would have been obnoxious.

10. Stace says:

extrapolate – I had a teacher that used it all the time, and now I find myself trying to fit it into conversation. Why?

11. monique says:

my favorites, by far are: keebler (it’s fun to say), concrete and isuzu. my hubby got me into saying things incorrectly too… like instead of frappe (its a massachusetts thing) i’ll say frap-pay, and fragile becomes fra-jil-lay. kinda like Dory in Nemo… “Look, here’s something! ‘ESSS-CA-PE’! I wonder what that means. It’s funny, it’s spelled
    just like the word ‘escape’.”

12. Janet says:

I’ve always liked facetious!

13. Kim says:

My favorite word is payday.
    :o)

14. type a says:

just to piss junkie off, i’ll steal her’s: superfulous!

mine? well, there are dozens. i’ll have to think on that . . . after coffee?

15. Chris says:

For some reason, I’ve always liked the word umbrella. And defenestrate.

16. winbenkat says:

Quidnunc and bumptious.

17. Debby says:

magnificent…sounds so regal.

18. Sheryl says:

I like the way asthetic sounds. When I was a little girl if I was scared I would say evoo over and over like a mantra, because I’m weird like that.

19. Uh, chocolate? I like that word. Alot. I try to mention it every day, mostly as “I’m glad I’m eating this chocolate right now.”

20. Sweety says:

Bunny rabbit and strawberry :)

21. azzy says:

I do like the word quintessential. I use it to describe Salem, MA (where I live). It’s quintessential New England! :) Other than that, I’m not too sure…

22. jadedsky says:

what a fun post!

i’m surprised no one mentioned – discombobulated – yet

23. doulazanie says:

confabulation is my choice although I like antidisestablimentarianism too (it means originally, opposition to the disestablishment of the Church of England, now opposition to the belief that there should no longer be an official church in a country.)

Go to dictionary.com and enroll in the word of the day. You get a new and unusual word in your inbox every day!

quixotic
    beverage
    superfluous

And you’ll never believe this, but I was rolling “gregarious” around in my head just last night. Because I am a word geek. A quintessential work geek.

25. reality says:

sammich, wonderfun, l’afternoon, nappy-kin, sastachewan (say it out loud, sooo much fun!), charming, cock :)

26. Lactomangulation
    It’s not a real word, yes I know. But when someone opens the wrong end of a carton of milk or orange juice, it’s always fun to call them a lactomangulator!
    Okay, I’m wierd.
    Other words?

swasivious
    surreal
    ad nauseum
    concoction
    herculean
    connubial
    supposititious
    ad hoc
    anonymity
    quixotic

Okay, I’m done now but I could go on forever….

27. Keith says:

I like ubiquitous.

28. Anne says:

Pulchritudinous – sounds ugly, means pretty.

I love contridictions like that.

Also, nefarious is fun.

29. zootsmom says:

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

(sp)….It always makes me smile

30. samantha says:

i love to use the words,’paraphernalia’ and ‘concoction’, also a phrase I coined, ‘yummy scrummy’.

31. lana [= says:

my word is swickk. I say sweet and sick alot so i decided it would be good to put them together. [=

32. Joey says:

antidisestablishmentarianism try saying that one 5x fast!