Today is the last day of 2006. It has been an amazing year. Truly. The best part of the year? Has been realizing that I’m capable of a lot more than I give myself credit. I switched jobs and professions. I ran a half-marathon. I learned how to drink wine that does not come in a box. I bought boots with heels taller than half-an-inch. I fell more in love with my husband a 100 times over as I watch him grow as a father. I made a photo set of some of my favorite photos from this year, check it out if you want.
This newfound limitless view of my skill set, the realization that I can do a lot more than I thought – has inspired in me giant-huge plans in terms of resolutions for 2007. I will wait and share those with you tomorrow, but today? Let’s reflect on 2006 in a meme. As seen at Linda’s.
1. What did you do in 2006 that youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d never done before?
- Ran a half-marathon
- Rented a beach house
- Went to a blog conference
2. Did you keep your new yearÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any this year, I’m just not a resolution-making type of gal. But I have huge plans for 2007…too many to mention in a meme. They’ll get their own entry.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I’ll approach this from the family perspective. If I include friends and blog-friends the list is too long. Both MrZ and I had cousins have babies this year.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We lost MrZ’s grandmother this year.
5. What countries did you visit?
Bourbon street in New Orleans, LA. Does that count?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A Mac Book.
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Eh. I don’t ever remember any dates. That’s why I buy 10 calendars a year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Running a half-marathon (that could be my answer for almost all of these).
9. What was your biggest failure?
Several non-impressive parenting moments involving yelling.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My Nikon D80
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Ellen DeGeneres and her constant effort to keep Katrina recovery in the forefront of people’s minds.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
That guy who stepped on my foot at the store one time and then didn’t even say he was sorry.
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to BlogHer and Visiting my brother.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:Ã¢â‚¬Â¨a) happier or sadder? Ã¢â‚¬Â¨b) thinner or fatter? Ã¢â‚¬Â¨c) richer or poorer?
18. What do you wish youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d done more of?
Spending time outdoors.
19. What do you wish youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢d done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
I fall in love over and over again every time my husband does something totally awesome.
22. How many one-night stands?
23. What was your favorite TV program?
HA! Like I can answer that. But because I just bought a t-shirt from it, I’ll say How I Met Your Mother.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didnÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t hate this time last year?
25. What was the best book you read?
What is a book?
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
27. What did you want and get?
A new camera.
28. What did you want and not get?
A Mac Book.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Eh. I only saw a few this year, so I’ll say Pirates of the Caribbean – Dead Man’s Chest.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31 and spent it preparing for a beach trip with the family.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I could have successfully improved my eating habits.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Casual meets Lazy.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Katrina Recovery (Or lack thereof)
36. Who did you miss?
My BFF Betsy who moved so far away.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I’ve met several amazing women this year, but the one who I became close enough to to actually invite into my home to be drowned in pet fur is Michelle.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Quit being a nagging bitch.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
“Momma called the doctor and the doctor said, ‘No more monkeys jumping on the bed!'”