Mornings make us weird.

Our house in the morning is a very weird place. MrZ and I both wake up feeling mildly goofy which lends itself to some entertaining moments. If, by “entertaining” you mean, “stupid and childish.” Here are several scenes from this morning that you would have enjoyed had you been a fly on the wall. These moments remind me how totally awesome my life is.

• MrZ’s re-enactment of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle performance (from the second movie) where they’re all “Go Turtles, Go Turtles, Go!” He even added the dance moves for good measure. His skills are nothing if not relevant to today’s trends. (Edited to Add: MrZ actually said “Ninjas” instead of “Turtles”. I got it wrong when I typed it because I was watching high caliber movies like “Ghostbusters” instead.)
  • NikkiZ held up her hand in a “Stop!” gesture to which I responded, “Stop. Collaborate and listen.” At this point MrZ joined me in performing as much of “Ice, Ice, Baby” as we could recall. It was actually quite a bit. I’m sure there are spaces in our brains giving up remembering historical dates or medical knowledge so that those lyrics can be saved for moments just like those.
  • There was quite a goofy exchange we made following the statement from MrZ, “We don’t really have half a bag of the fake ground beef. It’s more like a quarter-bag.” To which I giggle (of course) and continued to make drug-related ambiguous statements about that particular quarter-bag of fake meat.

1. NG says:

My husband swears that the portion of my brain formerly responsible for the olfactory sense, has been reappropriated and is now filled with only song lyrics. Glad to know I’m not the only one!

2. Kelly M. says:

I love silly times like those.
    Sounds like a nice start to a good day!

“Ice is back with a brand new edition….” I don’t know whether to be relieved or ashamed that I don’t know the song word-for-word after that point.

4. tiffers says:

you should really consider installing some sort of video camera system in your house. because, can anyone think of a good reason that the internet should be deprived of seeing mr. and mrs. Z perform ‘ice ice baby’ for their child? i think not.

oh, and, more importantly–holy crap with the morning energy! i mean, i’ve gathered from your blog so far that you’re an early riser. but, over here, it’s 9:30 and i’m only awake because i had a really bad dream and i’ve decided to never ever go to sleep again. the last time i had that much energy before noon was …oh, NEVER.

oh, i’m also using commenting on people’s blogs as a way to avoid thinking about my terrifying dream. you know, in case you wanted an explanation as to why i just wrote a novel here.
    sorry about that.
    going now…

5. ben says:

Ray Wylie Hubbard was here a month or so ago, and as he introduced “Redneck Mother,” for what was surely the two millionth time, he said something like “yeah, it’s a silly song, but it works fore me. I wonder where Vanilla Ice is tonite? … at least I’ve got a gig.”

Comedy gold.

6. angela says:

What is life without a good dose of silliness every single day? Your “Ice, Ice Baby” comment reminds me of how my husband and I can’t say anything about relaxin’ without finishing the entire Fresh Prince of Bel-Air song.

“Relaxin’ all cool and shootin’ some b-ball outside of the school, when a couple of guys said ‘we’re up to no good,’ started making trouble in my neighborhood…”

I could go on forever, but I’ll spare you that. You’ll probably already have the song stuck in your head!

7. I thought it was, “go ninjas, go ninjas, go!” Aidan watched that movie like 15 gazillion million times when he was little.

I must have smoked at least a dime bag to openly admit that I know the words to that song.

See you in a few hours!

*cabbage patches off into the distance*

8. janjanmom says:

It is probably the crazy hour that you wake up. (are forced up) It is a sleep deprived crazy fun time.

9. Ang says:

We have that Turtles movie and play it in our van — our kids sing that part of the song at the top of their lungs. Often, my husband will join in . . . with the sitting-in-the-van version of dance moves.

Too fun.

10. The Mom says:

Very cute. Sounds like a great way to start the day.

What is fake ground beef?

11. Adam says:

It’s, “Go Ninja, Go Ninja, Go;” not Turtle.

12. Tara says:

Ah, if only my husband was up for goofing around in the morning. The best he can muster tends to be a grunt. :)

13. Zandria says:

How, how, how can you be goofy as soon as you wake up in the morning? That must be why you and Mr Z get along so well. Goofiness eludes me until I have coffee and wake up…at least a few hours. :)