The entry that will make my Dad shake his head and sigh loudly

Growing up, my Dad always tried to foster in me a love of reading. Unfortunately, that love of reading pulled me more towards popular fiction than classic literature or non-fiction. He would constantly try to suggest I read things other than Babysitter’s Club, Dean Koontz, and Christopher Pike (Can you believe that Frema?) but I was not easy to convert. I do remember reading Catch-22 and The Count of Monte Cristo, which I think he was pleased with. But other than that? I proved nothing but frustrating. As an adult I really wish I had more academic tastes in reading, but the interest is just not there. I felt the urge to do this meme from Average Jane just to prove to YOU how little range I have in my library. Here’s the game:

Bold those you’ve read.
Italicize books you have started but couldn’t finish.
Add an asterisk* to those you have read more than once.
Underline those on your To Be Read list.
(Note: I have grand dreams of reading a lot of these books, but I only actually underlined the ones I’ve at least purchased. I’m trying to be realistic.)

(I’m so ashamed of this list. You have no idea how hard it was not to lie. And notice one key thing: There are NO asterisks on any book. Sorry, Dad. Maybe this is the beginning of some sort of New Year’s Resolution? Or at least motivation to pick up the books on LilZ’s reading list from now on?)

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
The Hobbit
In Cold Blood
White Teeth
Treasure Island
David Copperfield
The Three Musketeers

1. Zoot, I hate to admit it, but I was an English major and I don’t think I’ve even read as many on this list as you have. Please don’t tell the professors from my college.

2. Elyse says:

There is nothing wrong with reading books that aren’t on The List. This is by no means the definitive list of things you must read or be a failure at life. Besides, just think of all the good books you have left to read in your life! :-)

3. Iris says:

Oh Zoot! Please read American Gods, Anansi Boys and Wicked! They’re wonderful!

4. Likalia says:

I only ever look at book lists like this as recommendations. Sure I’ve read a few of them, but there are so many books published each year how could anyone really keep up?

The fact that you do read is awesome! :)

You have to bold The Count of Monte Cristo :-)
    I’ve hardly read any of those, and though I’m only an English “minor” that’s still sort of shameful! I just have enough serious reading to do, I like reading things like goofy romances in my free time.
    My little sister says I have to read ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’ though, so I will probably read that one eventually. And Gulliver’s Travels will have to be done by the end of the semester, as it’s required reading.

6. Emily says:

I wouldn’t have any asterisks either. I’ve never understood why people read the same book more than once. There are so many books out there to read, so much to learn about….seems like a waste to me.

7. Celticangel says:

As a librarian, I have to say: read what you like. Things that you find boring will only frustrate you.

I think I’ll go select a romance to read now.

8. kobri says:

Well I have read alot of these and I have LOVED some of them. You should definitely read read Wicked because it is..well… wicked and I have always loved Jane Austen. Atlas Shrugged is one of my favs, but it is really really really long. Lastly, the fact that To Kill A Mockingbird is not on here is a travesty.

9. cagey says:

Great meme! I will be doing this. (sidenote: over the years, Average Jane and I have been in several book clubs together in Real Life and have a new one starting this Sunday. Jane has VERY interesting and eclectic reading tastes.)

re: the comment about re-reading books – I wholeheartedly disagree. Reading a book is not just reading, it is an experience. And sometimes, you want to have that experience again. I have a few books that I will keep re-reading throughout my life because the experience is different every single time. For example, I have not re-read one of my all-time favorites, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith since I have become a mother. I know the next re-reading will lend itself to greater insight. I wonder if I will relate more now to Francie’s mother instead of Francie herself?

re: the “shame” of not reading – No one should feel ashamed of not reading, it is just a different interest or hobby. So to speak. To give you perspective, while I am a bookhound myself, sometimes I feel bad when I read about how other people are always going and doing things. My husband and I are homebodies and not as social as other couples. Sometimes, this makes me feel lazy when I read about others’ weekends spent running around going to interesting events.

10. TammyK says:

Great meme… but you really have nothing to be ashamed of… You read lots of things. I think we’re each drawn to what lights the fire in our imagination.

11. Kathy says:

I did this meme earlier this year, but I swear the books were totally different. (It was heavy on the Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings.) I own a lot of those books, but haven’t read them. Can I get partial credit for at least having smart looking bookshelves?

12. Don’t be ashamed, Zoot. I was an English major like some other people on this list and only read (some of) the classics because I had to. I started Frankenstein years after it had been assigned and found it really interesting, but I never finished it. No real reason why. Just got distracted by something shiny probably. :) I used to work at a bookstore a bajillion years ago and the New York Times published a list of 100 books that everyone should read before they die (or something like that). #1 on the list was Ulysses and tons of people came to the store to buy it. I was impressed. And incredibly humored (and relieved) when a number of them came back to the store and returned the book because they “just couldn’t do it.” Like someone else said, read what you like. All that should matter is that you’re reading. :)

13. Loralee says:

I’ve read much more than I thought (Heartbreaking work of staggering genius is my favorite book. EVER.) but there are so many of them that I SHOULD have read. Especially the “Deeper” ones. While I can understand and appreciate literature with more of an academic leaning, they don’t really seem to be my cup of tea.

Example:
    “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man” made me run around in circles of confusion muttering “WTF?” before I finally just threw it across the room. Made me feel a bit defeated, but “Eh”. Life’s too short.

14. Average Jane says:

I have to admit that a lot of the books on the list are ones I read in high school or college and a bunch of the rest were ones I read for book clubs.

15. Jessica says:

There are a lot of books on there that I want to read! I’m sort of making myself read a lot of the classics because I didn’t have to in school, and now I want to because I tend to enjoy them. Man, I’m a big dork.

Also, I re-read all my favorite books. They are so much better the second time around. You aren’t so bent on finding out what happens at the end.

16. Colleen says:

Well…. I read 13 of those books. None were started but not finished (although Anna Karenina… ugh… the only book ever that I started and didn’t finish). None to * none to underline.

But…. I LOVE to read. I have a bookshelf full of books I’ve read. I assume very few your dad would be proud of though. haha

What are some of your favorite books?

17. Little Dutch Girl says:

I think this is another occasion for my ‘I am a foreigner’ trump card!
    I have read the Kite runner and the poisonwood bible and loved both of those!
    One recommendation for you and I think most of your readers is ‘Queen of the oddballs’ by Hillary Carlip, That is the funniest book ever!

18. Little Dutch Girl says:

ps, and it is a memoire, so your dad will be proud too

19. Tam says:

Zoot-I read constantly…I mean I’m always in the middle of a book-not that I read every minute of the day (LOL)…I’ve read, and actually have in my house, hundreds of books but, of those listed…pfft…you way outscore me.

20. I am with everyone else……. I have read maybe 3 books on that list…… do movies count?

21. stace says:

I didn’t see any Dr. Seuss on there….. The heck??????

22. Jenny H. says:

I LOVE MEME’S. I am totally doing this one and will report back.

23. Nags says:

reading is totally personal. we all read what we want, no big deal!

24. Jenny H. says:

Okay, if you want to see mah list, you have to click on my link.

That having been said, I read ALL THE TIME. I LOVE TO READ. I am possibly stealing this idea from cagey, but could we start a bookclub? Wouldn’t that be fun? Nothing too heavy. We could just pick a book. We wouldn’t have to meet in person, we could set a deadline and just discuss it in the comments.

Anyone? Bueller?

25. kimblahg says:

ha lil’ foot’s mom- i was going to say i was an english major and haven’t read many of the books on this list. just because someone says these are the books you should have read to be well-read and literary doesn’t mean they are. so there!

26. Moogie says:

I’ve read some of the classics on this list…back in high school and college…but that was what was required. I tend to have different tastes that lean more towards what you mentioned. I really think that it doesn’t matter what you read…just that you do.

27. Sadie says:

If there was a way to mark those books that were assigned to me in school that I either only partially read or read only the Cliff’s Notes, I’d rock that list.

28. Lynda says:

Oooh! Fun! I’m going to do this over at my place!

29. Kathy says:

Loved this! If these books are on your shelves, I’m very impressed. Most people don’t even bother to buy them.

Here’s a suggestion: take this list and pick one of the books, like “A Short History of Almost Everything.” Late at night when you’re tempted to eat, read instead. Pick up this book and start reading. Maybe it will take your mind off eating. If you have to eat, try celery, carrot sticks, green pepper strips, etc. When you have FINISHED the book, then you can reward yourself with something you really want to eat–a piece of chocolate fudge torte comes to mind… And if it doesn’t keep you from eating, at least you will have learned something or will be able to bold a book on your list.

I’m afraid to do this meme. I have shelves full of books at our house (do I have to count my husband’s sci-fi/fantasy books that I will never read?). Many have been lovingly re-read at least one time, if not more. And the previous commenter was right–you have an entirely different experience with a book when you re-read it years later (especially true of Jane Austen). I could easily spend hours just listing the books and would no doubt get distracted by the books themselves. “Hey, I forgot about this one. I’ve really been wanting to read it…” And off I go.

30. Isabel says:

I think reading is a very personal thing. And who cares if you don’t like the books on that list…it’s all subjective.

(I may have to do this one ….)

31. lindz says:

zoot!!
    you missed Harry Potter!! you could’ve had asterisk if you put HARRY POTTER up!
    harry paitter is a new age CLASSIC!!

so don’t be to hard on yourself!

I don’t read much either.

32. *pixie* says:

American Gods is really good.
    Zen and the Art… holds a dear place in my heart and always reminds me of high school.

33. Nancy says:

I’m going to do this over at my blog too. I’m a bookseller and book lover, and read constantly, but I’m afraid to see what exactly I’m missing in this list….

34. junkie says:

freakin hilarious. i have read more than half of those books…….you’re missing out!

35. leslie says:

I did your meme on my book blog. I’ve read them all, but only a few inspired me to pick them up and read them more than once.

36. Frema says:

Ha. My parents were the same way!

Also, Ayn Rand’s books had a profound impact on me. I read “The Fountainhead” in high school and it totally blew me away. I eventually came to realize that her ideas about independence and altruism were a *tad* extreme, but I still love her books for their strong characters. “Atlas Shrugged” is even better. I still love the name Dagny!

37. roz says:

Delurking to echo several remarks and one recommendation. I also read a lot. Probably 5-7 books a week. I also read late at night, especially when anxiety overtakes…which it often does. I can get lost in books. But, I also have read very few of the books on that list, simply because they don’t appeal to me. I read mystery, popular fiction, sci-fi, romance, historical novels and many others. Also, the ones that I have read were mostly in highschool and college- required. But, having said that, I do want to recommend “The Historian”. I don’t as a rule, read vampire books, but for some reason, someone recommended that book and I truly couldn’t put it down. Also. as a diabetic, I have to try and control my food intake, but struggle with it because I also eat when I’m anxious, which is most of the time. I have found that if I keep things like veggies cut up and low fat type dips and stuff, I WILL munch on those…while reading, of course, late at night, rather than chips. The key seems to be having them already cut and ready to munch! Who knows, it might work for you!