Update: Case workers will be investigating me soon.

We decided to wake NikkiZ up before MrZ went to work so he could see how she slept. When I opened the door to her room, she was sleeping on the floor near her toybox. We started laughing and she immediately ran towards us in a sleepy haze. We asked her, “Why are you sleeping on the floor? You’re supposed to sleep in your bed! Not next to the toybox!”

Well – she has translated the incident in her own mind. When she helped me wake up her brother she exclaimed, “I’m s’posed to sleep in bed, but I slept in the toybox!” She seems very perplexed about the situation and ending up somewhere other than the bed. She keeps saying, “Mom! I’m s’posed to sleep in bed?!” Like, Dude. How did that happen?. It’s actually quite cute and hilarious if you don’t know that backstory when she tells a stranger, “I slept in my TOYBOX!” I keep saying, “Not in the toybox, near the toybox.” I’m not sure if that matters in the long run.

1. Nicole P. says:

We have several fun pictures of my nephew sleeping in various places in his room once he graduated the crib – his toybox (in it), a baby swing, and a shelf on his bookcase (funny after the terror of his possible fall wore off)

2. Colleen says:

So funny…. but at least she stayed in her room and slept! Even if it wasn’t in the bed… I’d call it successful.

3. Stacey says:

She must have gone to play. The little boy I babysit is often found by his trains. LOL

4. Jennifer says:

That is too cute! I am scared to put my little girl in a toddler bed for fear of where she will end up. I agree though, she must have gone to play and then fell back asleep. Children are so precious!

5. supertiff says:

it’s like she woke up in the middle of the night like: hey, i think i can get to my toys! but then she tuckered out again before she got there.

6. Tasha says:

So cute! My 2 year old will sleep in front of her door (that we keep shut). In the mornings when I go to wake her usually about 3 times a week, I will knock her in her head because I didn’t know she was right there. We are curreently trying to break this habit…we feel hitting her in the head is nonbenefical to her, LOL!

7. Becky says:

I can understand her logic. Completely. I’d love to snuggle up in a toybox. Sounds cozy.

8. lindz says:

LOL to funny.
    but the logic for her is there. she saw her crib as a box, and not that it is gone, she’s looking for a replacement box.
    hopefully she’ll never wind up by the litter box.

9. Aardvark says:

The beautiful part is that she slept! It will all come together!

10. mdv says:

Adorable. I agree at least the transition wasn’t traumatic for any of you.

11. stace says:

That is the SWEETEST baby!!!!!!!!!!

12. Stephanie says:

I wonder if she got up and was playing quietly in the middle of the night and fell to sleep by the box?

13. The Muse says:

Awwww, so sweet!

Two quick stories: When I was younger, I used to crawl out of my bed, grab my Strawberry Shortcake sleeping bag and drag it into the hallway in front of my parents’ door. I would sleep there and inevitably cause one of my parents to trip over me on their way to coffee.

And then, I was playing hide-and-go-seek with my sister (she was about 3), and she ran off to hide. I waited about 2 minutes and started searching for her – 15 minutes later, I was calling for her and was frantic because I STILL hadn’t found her! Finally, I looked inside her toybox, where she had climbed in with her stuffed animals and fallen asleep while I was searching.

14. Kim says:

Jamison still will move himself from his bed to the floor. Sometimes he will end up right in the doorway between his room and the hallway. Other times he will end up behind his door – wedged between the door and the wall and his closet. Once he ended up in the smaller space between the bed and wall, and pulled his mattress off the boxspring over to make a lean-to of sorts. It is always an adventure, we never know where we will find him in the morning! :-)

15. Melizzard says:

Glad to hear the first went well. We moved Fuzzy Head last week as well and each morning we keep waking up to find more and more books in her bed. We ask how they get there and she just grins.

Hee. That’s adorable. Don’t you wish you’d been a fly on the wall when the late-night/early-morning relocation took place?