I made friends! Like a big girl!

I did two things for the first time last night: I attended a political event, and I blew dry my hair.

Actually – it’s not the first time I’ve ever used a hair-dryer on my hair. There was the fateful attempt to blow it dry straight about five years ago. And then those times in the early 90s when I was trying to see how big I could get it. So – last night was the first time in 5 years, AT LEAST. And I did it because I decided I should shower before my political event, betting I’d make a better first impression if I didn’t smell like sweat. Unfortunately – it takes 2+ hours for my hair to dry naturally – so I had to speed things up a little. And you know what? It was a huge pain in my ass. You people who blow dry your hair every day? I feel for you. I couldn’t do that every day. It’s just so….boring.

The even last night was fun. I spent 15 minutes just looking for a place to park, to avoid going into the function. I was that nervous. I drove by the restaurant about 10 times, trying to peak in to see what was going on. When I finally walked in the front door, an organizer welcomed me, gave me some stickers, and sent me on my way. I got a beer, found someone who was smiling and asked if I could sit at her table. (CAN YOU BELIEVE I DID THAT? I’m so awesome.) By the end of the night I had made three friends. One of them wasn’t even a citizen (yet) and wouldn’t be able to vote. BUT – she really wanted to show her support so she came out anyway. HOW AMAZING IS THAT?

I only stumbled on my words a few times and actually asked a few questions of my table buddies. I instigated conversation! That’s the power Obama has over me – he can make me be social.

The event was exactly what I wanted: A group of people who would clap and yell when I did. And we all did just that. It actually made me very proud of my town because we had a decent turnout. For a red state. And people were very passionate about it – and it was a great thing to be a part of. There were only two people who tried to break up our party with snide comments (it was at a restaurant, so a lot of the customers weren’t with us) but they were both completely ignored by the crowd. No one even bothered to respond. We were just there to listen…and we weren’t going to let anything interfere with that. It was perfect.

I’m very proud of myself and I even signed up for a mailing list! And sent a response to a text message I got asking me to volunteer. I said YES to volunteering! (Like I have ANY time to spare – but at least my intention was there!) I left the place energized and empowered. If Obama doesn’t get elected this fall, it won’t be because I didn’t do my part.

I mean – I used a hair dryer – I’ll obviously stop at nothing for my cause.

1. Zoot! I’m so glad (and not surprised) that it went well. Democrats are just nice people. I thought the speech was wonderful. I cried and felt very very proud of my country.

Good for you for getting out there. What a great example for your kids!

2. Janssen says:

I MUST go watch that speech.

3. Randi says:

yay! Good for you! Now I’m BUMMED that I missed that speech!! It sounds like it was amazing!

So, with all the interesting political stuff in that post, my burning question is: did you use a diffuser? lol
    I’m a dork, it’s official ;) I’m so glad you had a good night out! Did you take Andy?

5. Amanda says:

You’re awesome! I also don’t know how people do this blow dryer thing daily. But I have to air dry or I get major poof & frizz. Oh the fun of natural curls.

Anyway…..sounds like you had a great time. I think getting out & being social like that is always so intimidating. I’m a freak I guess. I’m fine once I’m there, but thinking about it before an event – ugh! Glad you had fun.

6. angie says:

Woo hoo! You go girl! I knew you would enjoy yourself. You (and your hair) are awesome. :)

7. stacey says:

That was an amazing speech…was in tears several times….just what I needed this week……

Oooh I just read the speech. Wow. Yeah, I’d vote for him.

9. Lindsey says:

Woot! Wasn’t it just an awesome speech? Top that RNC! And way to go on not just stepping out of your box, but jumping, skipping, and playing while there too.

10. SpaceCase says:

Go, Zoot! You’re inspiring me – I’m a hermit by nature, but I’m moving to a new city soon, and want to make a real effort to meet new people. You’re inspiring me! I’m so impressed!

11. Stewbie says:

A hair dryer!! Sweet baby Jesus!! I’m telling ya—that Obama…he’s swell….

12. lynne says:

Well done you! The world needs more people to stand up and say they care. I hope Obama gets in too. For all our sakes. Not too impressed with the Bush regime but we have leadership problems as well, our present govement is not too well and with the ressession looming fingers are being pointed. I wonder how Obama would deal with Medvedev?

13. Becca says:

Good for you, Zoot! We had an impromtu viewing party as well, but with people I already knew.
    Awesome, it was.

14. amanda says:

Wasn’t it a wonderful speech? Gave me chills, made me cry, made me cheer, made me proud to be an American.

And made me finally change my address with the voter registration people so I won’t have to trek across town to my old polling station in November when I vote this man our next president.

15. WonderSpot says:

That’s impressive! I wonder if I were still in Huntsville, would I have still “seen the light” and become a democrat?

You’re much braver than I am, and I live in a blue state. It’d be nice to finally make friends, though, after 3 years of living here.

16. M&Co. says:

You need a diffuser. My hair isn’t as long as yours but it’s probably thicker. I stick the diffuser to my head and turn it on hi and it makes it reasonably dry in less than 10 minutes. And because it isn’t blowing on the hair, it doesn’t make it stick out at all angles.

17. Janet says:

You are so grown!!! Obama must have superpowers :-)

18. I just got railed on in the comments of my own blog for not making more of an effort to make friends, especially non-mom look I have my own interests outside of child-rearing friends. So I had to comment to say ZOOT! I COMMEND YOU!

19. Melanie says:

Congrats!! on blow drying your hair that is…. i have to say the to “appliances” in my house i never use are the iron and blow dryer!!

Of course congrats on getting out and about making friends!

20. Erin says:

Good for you! I HATE blow drying my hair. What is the point?

21. Lane C says:

Good for you, I loved his speech! The RNC is coming here to MN and I just about have a daily panic attack seeing all the Repbulicans around!:) I don’t know how you do it day to day :)

22. *pixie* says:

That’s awesome. I was trying to imagine what I would do in that situation. I probably would have sat alone. I suck at small talk.

I’m very happy for you. That’s great that it was exactly what you wanted it to be.

24. sadie says:

I said Yes to the text message too!! I can’t wait, I am so excited and inspired right now.

25. Ashlea says:

Hair dryers are so not worth it! I have curly-wavy hair and the minute a hair dryer goes near it, it goes poof… and then it is frizzy. Dam hair!

26. Hilary says:

Congratulations! I thought of you that night because I was so excited about your post. So good for you and glad to hear it went well. Go Blue!

27. Jem says:

I blow dry my hair and straighten it (it takes up to 24 hours to dry naturally, I’m not kidding) and I only wash it once a week because I get so bored of doing it. But I find it helps to dry it while sitting at the computer and reading blogs!