Goofy Photos + Oatmeal + Charity = The Perfect Storm of Blog Awesomeness

I am not lying to you when I say that the ONE food my entire family eats? Is oatmeal. We all eat it in different ways, but there are some mornings when every single one of us has oatmeal for breakfast. MrZ just likes the plain Quick Oats version of their oatmeal while the kids and I all prefer the Maple and Brown Sugar version that comes in the packets. Yum. So, when I was asked to participate in a Quaker Oats EVENT that would allow me to compete for a chance to have Quaker Oats give $5,000 to a local foodbank? I had three words: Count. Me. In.

Here’s the dealio. There are 25 bloggers doing this thing. We each get one day to accumulate as many comments where people link to their photos on Facebook as possible. Today is my day. (Although it doesn’t officially start until 9am Central time).The winner? Will have $5,000 donated to their local foodbank from Quaker Oats.

Is there a downside to this project? NO. There is not. Oatmeal. Comments. Photos. Charity. It gets no better than this! Unless, of course, you add unicorns. Which I couldn’t do. BUT I TRIED.

Here is what you have to do:

1. Visit Start With Substance to get to the Quaker Facebook fan page and to read the official rules.
  2. You need a Facebook page. I’m sorry in advance if you do not have one, but once you sign up? You will realize how big of an addicting time suck it is. Here is mine.
  3. Go to the Quaker Oats Facebook page. Download and print off the picture of the Quaker Oats man on the sidebar of that page.
  4. Take a picture (or video of you’re feeling adventurous) of yourself and/or your family with the Quaker Oats man.
  5. Click the “Add Photos” link on the Quaker Oats Facebook Page and upload your photo. Once it’s uploaded, get the link to that photo (which is on the bottom of the photo’s page) and leave it in the comments section here.
  6. Feel good about yourself for participating in such an awesome charity oatmeal event.

Now, Quaker Oats is sending me two Quaker Oats coupons to give away as well as sending a case of Quaker Oats oatmeal to my local foodbank as a “Thank You.” If that’s not awesome, I don’t know what is. If I get the most comments with valid links to Facebook photos, they’ll donate $5,000 to my local foodbank as well. So Quaker Oats? Doing their part. Now, for my part:

For every qualifying comment I get on this entry before midnight tonight, I’ll donate one can of food to my local foodbank.

So…go do your thing! And help me help my local food bank! Pretty Please with brown sugar on top…?

Get it? Brown Sugar? Because it’s OATMEAL! I’m funny!

To get you started…here’s my picture. And here’s the link to my photo on facebook.

What?

If you want to know more, visit the Official Web Page of the Quaker Oats event. In the meantime? Get to snapping pictures of yourself with that handsome man. If you dont leave a link in my comments to your photo on Facebook before 9am Central tomorrow morning? It won’t count and I might lose and then I would cry.

The End.

(Sidenote: The blog that posted yesterday? Has the most amazing recipe using Quaker Oatmeal I think I’ve ever seen. YOU MUST CHECK IT OUT. And then make it for me because I think it’s too complicated for my novice skills.)

1. I <3 oatmeal! My mom always made it with brown sugar, butter, and sometimes a splash of heavy whipping cream. My GOD, it was good. :)

Plain oatmeal? Wow. That takes guns. I think plain oatmeal tastes like spackling paste. Which I, uh, eat… so… much… of.

*whistles innocently, wanders away*

2. Hilary says:

Oh, if only Atkins allowed oatmeal. I love oatmeal. I even love the word. Sigh.

3. Kris says:

I love oatmeal. So much.

4. Mymsie says:

Mmmm, I’m an oatmeal fan too. Nummy and so good for you! Oatmeal + spray butter = dynamic duo! :)

5. Stephanie says:

I’m sorry this won’t count towards your comment count (it’s a great idea, but there’s no way I’m signing up for facebook… sorry!), but I LOVE oatmeal. I don’t understand those people who think it’s gross. I grew up on the Quaker Oats… I’m an apples and cinnamon girl, myself. Good luck!

6. Sues says:

Aww thank you for the compliment! And I swear that bread recipe is really easy! I made it up myself, which is something I neverrr do. I’m loving all the new blogs I’m discovering through the Quaker Oats event :) Good luck!

Sues

7. lynne says:

Sigh I would totally do this if the burglar who came calling before xmas had’nt knicked my camera… also my phone with a camera. Presently using a very old one without camera facillities. Good luck!

P.s. When I studied in Canada I got totally hooked on the maple syrup and Cinnamon Quaker oats bars. Unfortunately the good people at Quaker Oats do not export them to Britian.

8. Sandy says:

Ok, I’ve got my picture took, but don’t see the add photo link. Can someone help me out?

9. SupaCoo says:

So, it’s almost 8 p.m. here and I don’t have a printer at home!! If I had found this at work, where things are printer-licious, I totally would have. I’m sorry!

10. SupaCoo says:

Sandy, about halfway down the page it says:
    Displaying 4 of 30 fan photos —————– Add Photos

11. Sandy says:

Thanks Zoot-your directions were great and I have it uploaded now. Hope you win!

12. WonderSpot says:

This is unrelated to oatmeal (though I am a fan), I just wanted to say that I LOVE this design! Very nice.

13. mama speak says:

Damit, I totally would’ve done this for you (what a great cause) but didn’t read it till everyone is already in bed. We are totally oatmeal people here. Wish it was low carb so I could eat it more often.

14. Ashlea says:

I wish i could join in. They dont sell that oatmeal where I live :(

15. Kandi Ann says:

Miss Zoot. I am so sorry I missed this. I would have participated. One because you rock for doing this and two because my local food bank brings me 4 meals a week because I am a shut in. I never really thought about food banks or soup kitchens or anything like that till I needed sustenance and couldn’t provide it for myself. Way to bring attention to a great cause. again, you rock.