Another Quickie.

DSC_0720

Lighthearted story for the day as I’ve overslept for the 3rd day in a row and have absolutely zero minutes to blog. (Evidently it takes a 33-year old woman a lot longer to catch up on sleep than it did the 23-year old version of the same woman.) This weekend, NikkiZ was trying to teach me a blessing they say at school. I started getting nervous about the questions that may follow as I knew the blessing said, “Thank you, God.” Would she ask who God was? Is she old enough to understand the idea that some people believe one thing while Mommy believes something else? If she doesn’t ask do I just ignore it? Do I just repeat her without talking about what we’re saying?

Turns out? Wasn’t an issue. As this is her version:

Thank you GUYS for everything!

Hee. She’s not thanking God. She’s thanking guys…who are…the people around her? Like her classmates maybe? I love it. And I let her teach it to me like that. Thank you guys for everything! I mean, grateful is good no matter who you’re thanking, right?

Peek-A-Boo!

I like her version! :-) Great pictures, too. (As usual.)

2. Sarah says:

I think we’ll start using that in our house too. And I think littlez looks like the kid in Almost Famous in that picture. He’s ADORABLE…as are all your children. xo

3. Clancy says:

Aw, AndyZ looks just like his daddy!

4. stacey says:

hahahaha I LOVE IT!!

5. Stephanie says:

I have to second Clancy — AndyZ does look a lot like MrZ. I noticed it right from the beginning, but he looks more and more like him as he gets older.

6. SupaCoo says:

And “thank guys” she made it easy on you so you didn’t have to get into that whole conversation already!

7. Christina says:

Indeed!!! For the record, her version is MUCH better then the one she is supposed to be saying. GO her!

8. Amanda says:

Awwww.

Look at all of AndyZ’s hair! My youngest has some, but not that much. We also have that same walker, except with an annoying music thing on the front. My parents bought it for the baby, b/c they don’t have to listen to it singing all the time. :)

9. Maria says:

Definitely good. “Guys” can include the males and females around her.

10. catherine says:

does she attend a school that ends with a flower name? will she wear a uniform next year?

we’re getting ready to transition to said school that ends in flower name, I was very concerned with the prayer. I called the school, the director said that at this particular school it was said more as a queuing mechanism, a prompt. That lots of kids didn’t say it. Confirmed atheist husband is hesitant. I figure I’m raising kids in a Christian society, they should know this G-d that other people think so highly of.

I think I’ll promote the “guys” version though. It’s nice to thank your friends for being good people. We could all benefit from that.

11. Erin says:

You should do a post on how you’ve dealt with this with Lilz and also how you explain why you’re celebrating Easter & Christmas etc. I’m so torn on what to tell my kids about things they hear at school.

12. Jessica says:

So cute! I love that picture of AndyZ too. I barely recognize him he looks like such a little man.

13. gabrielle says:

That’s great! I’ve been trying to come up with a suitable non-religious blessing for my son, and this is simple and cute. I might steal it! :)

14. Bonnie says:

Love it. Jack and I were singing our prayer song that I learned from camp when I was a little girl and at the end, you hum and then say “Amen. So we sing it, “Hmmmmmmm, amen.” and Jack turns to me and says “Why are we saying ‘almond’? What does that have to do with it?”.

Cracked me up. The holy prayer to nuts.

15. Wacky Mommy says:

She is so smart and funny. You know what i love is how sweet your big kid always is to your little kids. I like seeing the pix of them. He is a loving one, that guy. He’ll be a great dad someday.

16. Reagan says:

That first picture is the BEST!

And I love her version- wayyy better!!

17. Rae Ann says:

Love that! We are a mixed household: my hubs is more traditionally religious and me? not so much. My daughter learned a blessing at preschool, the traditional ‘God is great’ one. There is clapping and cheering at the end. This helps make me more comfortable with it somehow.

18. Cindy says:

I can’t believe the comment “he’ll make a great dad someday” made me teary! Is that not the best compliment a mom of a boy can get?! And I agree… you are raising a great man.

19. Melanie says:

Our kids say the same “prayer” at their daycare before meals – luckily they say “guys” too! :-)