I’m Feeling Quite Awesome, Thank You Very Much

Before & After

I recently shared out this entry written by a friend of mine from high school. It totally motivated me to finally re-paint NikkiZ’s Dora table, which I had been wanted to do for awhile now. I bought the table with some other furniture for dirt cheap in a post-Christmas Sale at Wal-Mart before AndyZ was born. I paid $50 for the whole set which included the table, stools, shelves and toddler bed. The table and stools are the only things we still have from the set. Since the kids share a room, and since NikkiZ is not into Dora as much any more, I thought I’d repaint it with primary colors. Then I saw Sarah’s entry about her chalkboard table. And I was inspired.

I have never used chalkboard paint before. I followed the instructions to the letter and bought the specific latex primer the paint suggested, although I’m not sure if it was necessary. Both pints together probably cost me $30, but I have gobs left over. I just need to decide what other surfaces in my home need to be chalkboards. I used the same thing on the legs and stools that I’ve used on other painting projects. Cheap acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby. I don’t bother with high quality paints from Home Depot for such small projects because if you put a coat of protect gloss over top? The acrylic is fine. At least, that’s been my experience. Since I keep acrylics around for other projects, that didn’t cost me. But if I had needed to buy them? It would have only cost about $10 for all five colors.

I am not an artist, but I know how to use my few skills to maximum results. The painting of the stools required no precision or skill, anyone could do it. I assure you. I am totally proud of this project and if the kid’s use (all three of them love it) of it in the last 24 hours is any indication? Totally worth the little bit of money it cost me.

After

1. Alli says:

Chalkboard paint is making the rounds in the blogosphere. I am hoping to repurpose the side of a filing cabinet soon, just need to get over its size.

I love what you did, it looks amazing. Good job!

2. Sara says:

Be proud. That is totally cute and a great way to re-purpose!

3. SupaCoo says:

Recycling rules! That is so cool and creative. Nice job!

4. Coleen says:

Re: chalkboard paint. I just bought two hand-painted wine glasses yesterday that had a swatch of chalkboard paint on each, so that they can be personalized according to the drinker. Never heard of such a thing before, but I think it’s quite brilliant. Could be a creative side-business – personalized drinking objects via chalkboard paint?

5. Wendy Yohe says:

Great job on the project! It’s really cute!

Now here’s an idea for the rest of that chalkboard paint:

6. amy says:

we put a chalkboard square on one wall of the kitchen. it serves as a message board/grocery list/canvas for fun

7. Ryan says:

They look so much better now than they did originally! And its so personal and creative.. I bet they are proud!

8. Sarah Lynn says:

What an awesome idea!

9. Karen says:

turn the cabinet wall under your breakfast counter into a chalk board–mine is all scuffed and dented from kicking feet anyway, some paint could only improve it.

Friends of mine have a small accent wall done in their kitchen (it’s about 4′ wide maybe?) and it’s great! I love the chalkboard paint idea.

11. Sarah says:

Kim – they look awesome. Do you think it would be weird if I painted my whole house with chalkboard paint? The stuff is just so cool. xo