Realistically Speaking

Every year I make resolutions. I just like the idea of it. Hell, every Sunday I feel like I mentally resolve to do things differently the next week, so of course I’m going to take advantage of the biggest Monday of all! There’s just something refreshing about the beginning of a new week, a new month, a new year. It’s so easy to convince yourself you have a clean slate…so why not take advantage of it by writing on it what you WANT to write?

But this year I’m doing things a little bit differently. I’ve found myself thinking more about what I’m not going to do. I’ve bagged up most of my craft items to give away, because I’m going to quit starting random crafty projects. I don’t even finish half of them anyway, and the other half tend to stress me out by taking away time from other things. I’m going to say, “No!” more often. I’m going to quit jumping on these unrealistic blogging bandwagons. I mean, I couldn’t even stick with NaBloPoMo for the entire month. One trip out of town and I dropped the ball. So I’m definitely not going to try any other 365 projects. No matter how much I want to.

My main resolution is that I’m forcing myself to stop and think before starting (or agreeing to start) any new project. I’ve removed the crafting temptation and am only going to focus on my photography for a creative outlet. (And my blog, of course, I don’t even consider that an option any more.) I’m going to quit telling people I’ll do things only to let them down. I’m just going to avoid committing to anything I’m not 100% certain I can do. JUST SAY NO. It’s something I’ve been working on over the years…but that I’ve never been really successful at. I just have a hard time letting people down, and if I say, “No,” I feel like I need to provide bulletproof excuses why I can’t. In my head, “I just don’t have the time…” is not a good enough excuse, I guess. Not unless it’s followed by, “because I’m spending all of my days helping refugees from Darfur.” If someone doesn’t understand/believe my claim of “not having the time,” then they probably aren’t someone I need to be working with or helping anyway. Because obviously they don’t know me that well. Right? BACK ME UP HERE! (See? The paranoid insecurity is already setting in and I’ve not even told anyone, “No.” yet.)

So…my main resolution? To stop doing, or saying I’ll do, so much extra stuff. Whether to myself or to others. (Because let’s face it…I let myself down on projects not completed more often than I let down others.) Three kids, a husband, a job hunt, a half-marathon training schedule and what will hopefully be a college schedule in the Fall? That’s plenty. RIGHT?

Is this considered convertible hair?
Is this considered convertible hair?
The best thing about the ball pit Santa brought us? Static Hair!

1. Jenera says:

sounds like a great plan! I think my plan this year is to step outside of the box and not be a-scared.

2. junkie says:

school in the fall?

3. gabrielle says:

Amen! Saying no (to myself!) when I try to take on too much is something I really need to work on. Thanks for the reminder. :) Happy New Year!

4. Brenda says:

School?? I will be going back to college Jan 19th and I’m scared out of my mind. I just turned 40 and haven’t been in school for about 20 years. I decided it was time to go and do what I want to do. I have 1 child, a hubby, and a full-time job so it should be interesting. Good luck!! Here’s to 2010 and new beginnings!

Oooh what’s this about school in the fall? :) Good luck with all your goals! <3

6. Wacky Mommy says:

Grad school? i just started, and by that i mean — i took ONE of the pre-reqs and am now refusing to fill out the rest of the paperwork. Panic. I’ll deal.

good for you — sets a good example for the kids and all, too.

7. Sara says:

When I tried to cancel my gym membership, the manager informed me that if I WANTED to have time to work out, I would find it.

Even after I informed him that I have 2 jobs, go to school full time and am a single mom- he didn’t believe me. And that’s when I punched him in the eye (in my head).

My resolution is also to say no to extra stuff more often- we can do it!

8. Swistle says:

I’ve found that “I don’t have time” seems to invite people to argue with me, such as “I don’t have the time either, but I’M doing it,” or “You have to MAKE time.” What I’m going to try next time is “I’ve just got too much on my plate.” It seems more descriptive of the problem: that is, that I COULD do what they’re asking, but not without taking something off my plate.