Flashback Movie Day At MissZoot.Com

movies

I’ve been stuck in my childhood this week with MamaPop reminding me about The Last Unicorn and Metalia reminding me of The Watcher In The Woods. Those are two movies I know I watched more than once from my childhood, which was unusual for me. My Dad didn’t get a VCR until I was almost in high school, but my Mom had one. So on the weekends I was at her house, I remember picking out The Last Unicorn at the movie rental place to watch several times. I don’t know what it was about that movie that I loved so much, but my affection for it is so deep I’ve been scared to re-watch it as an adult. I’m afraid the magic will be ruined.

The daycare I went to after school and during the summer for most of my childhood had a staple of movies we could watch. Every afternoon we chose an “activity” to do. There was a movie room, a homework room, the gym and roller skating. (I know! I went to an awesome daycare.) When the movie choice was The Watcher in the Woods? I always chose it. I have no idea why, as I’ve never really liked scary movies. But something about that movie freaked me out in AN AWESOME WAY. I couldn’t get enough of it.

Ghostbusters also played a big part in my childhood as it was one of the few VHS tapes my Dad’s office/shop kept around to test VCRs. He worked in a hospital as a biomedical engineer for my childhood, and while many of the guys repaired hospital equipment, there was also the periodic VCR that needed attention. Because of this, they kept a few tapes around to test with. Ghostbusters was one of them, so if my brother and I had to go to work with my Dad? We inevitably ended up watching that movie as there’s very little else to do in a shop full of broken EKG machines. There was also The Neverending Story and Goonies as two others I remember watching and truly adoring. But didn’t everyone love those movies? If not, you’re dead to me.

(JUST KIDDING.)

When most of us were kids movies were still a rare treat, not something airing on every channel, on ever DVR, in every cell phone in every home. Movies are now so ubiquitous that I doubt any of our kids will have standouts from their childhood. I remember a few standouts from when LilZ was little: Jungle 2 Jungle, Wild America, and Mary Poppins were a few of his favorites. As he got older Matilda became a staple as well. But NikkiZ and AndyZ? They’ll have seen so many movies by the time they’re 5 I just don’t see any of them sticking out in their mind or mine.

(Although NikkiZ is oddly attached to Avatar and can’t quite wait for it to come out on DVD. She’s a weird kid.)

What movies stand out from your childhood? Do you have older kids? Do you remember any of their faves?

1. Kathy says:

Standouts from my childhood? The Secret of Nihm, Goonies, and I hate to admit this, but I was one of those girls who watched Annie over and over. (Though I think I gain back some cool points saying Miss Hannigan was my favorite. Carol Burnett was awesome.)

I don’t have kids, but my younger cousin was hugely into The Lion King. I was already into my late teens when all those 90s Disney films were popular.

2. zoot says:

OH! The Secret of Nihm! I adored that one too.

3. Misti says:

There are several movies that I remember watching as a kid. I can’t even tell you how many times I saw “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” or “The Parent Trap” (the good one with Hayley Mills obvs.). Of course “Goonies” is high on the list as well. We were also allowed to watch some movies that I would consider WAY off limits now that I’m a parent. “Revenge of the Nerds”? Really? Nekkid people all over the place. “Nightmare on Elm Street”? Goodness.

4. duchessbelle says:

There was one movie that I would watch on TV (I want to say it was only on around Halloween, though I remember watching it more than that) and I can’t remember the title but it was 2D animation and it was this group of kids and there was a pumpkin that they had to get (because the pumpkin was bad? or maybe taken by the bad guy?) and they’re underwater and the girl steps on a piece of coral and it poisons her and she gets sick….

Even though I remember 45 seconds of the movie, it is one of the most vivid childhood movie memories I have and it drives me batty that I can’t remember more!

5. kathy says:

My sixteen year old daughter’s first movie was Wild America! My college age kids favorites were the Lord of the Rings Trilogies, and on VHS, then DVD: the Star Wars Movies and The Indiana Jones Movies. And actually my youngest says his favorite movie is Star Wars too. MY favorite movie as a kid was Escape to Witch Mountain. I wanted to be Kim Richards so bad! I am also hesitant to rewatch it. I don’t think it would stand the test of time.

6. Randi says:

The Last Unicorn! Love, love, LOVE that movie. Loved The Parent Trap, The Secret of Nimh, and Cinderella – not the Disney version, the Rogers and Hammerstein version from 1965 with Leslie Ann Warren.

7. Brenda says:

Escape to Witch Mountain and Return to Witch Mountain were movies my sister and I watched quite often. As we got older Rock ‘n’ Roll High School (with the Ramones!) and movies like Xanadu took over. We didn’t have a VCR until I was well into high school (I’m a little older than you ;). Most movies we had to catch on cable or a movie channel.

Oddly enough, I watched “Twister” a lot as a child. That’s the only one that comes to mind at the moment. If I think of more, I’ll come back ;)

9. Bobbie says:

If I tell you the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater was “The Sound of Music”, you’ll know how old I am…

My now 19-year old son’s “first” favorite movie was “The Jungle Book” – I even mentioned to the pediatrician that I was worried he was a bit obsessed with it, and he told me that his dog’s name was Ballou (after Ballou Bear)!

10. WonderSpot says:

Oh, yes! The Goonies I would watch EVERY DAY in the summers, and The Never Ending Story was huge, too. I also loved The Secret of Nimh, and the old Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory; my aunt had that on tape, and every time we visited her I made her put it in for me. “I’ve got a GOLDEN TICKET!” The Parent Trap was another big one….

I also loved a movie that I can’t remember the name of (sad!)….but it involved a boat, and a shipwreck, and some blond boy and people with English accents.

11. Kathleen says:

Funny, what stands out for me is that my best friend loved Neverending Story so much, but wasn’t allowed to watch it at her house, so we just watched it over and over until I was thoroughly sick of it, much as I had loved it at first.

That, and the Dark Crystal scared the hey-ya out of me.

12. RockyCat says:

I grew up in the seventies, the Golden Age of craptacular TV movies, and my two favorites were The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (with John! Travolta!) and Sweet Hostage (I wanted to BE Linda Blair in that movie). I now have both on DVD, obv. :)

13. Marilyn says:

So many!!

I of course also had a deep and abiding love for The Last Unicorn. I even hunted down the novel and read it in high school. :) I also loved The Secret of NIMH. Read that book too, come to think of it!

Neverending Story was there too… I saw that in the theater for my birthday that year and was obsessed with it. Read the book. Of course. ;)

I remember The Toy too.. .my friend had HBO and it seemed like it was on every time I was over there. I remember thinking that was so cool!

14. Tara says:

When we were kids me, my brother, and my sister loved watching Watership Down on BETA CASSETTE. I watched the movie again when I was older, and realized that it has a lot of blood and violence in it! I don’t remember the violence ever bothering me as a kid. But, I still wouldn’t let my children watch it until they’re older.

15. Movies from my childhood? Ummm….I can include stuff from my tween AND teen years, right? Okay. Grease. Roller Boogie. Breakin’. Footloose. Rocky. Smokey and the Bandit. Rock and Roll High School. Jaws. Friday the 13th. The Shining. The Howling. (I was definitely a weird kid.)

Have you seen the Goonies tee shirts in the mens department in Target?

16. Oh…..and the Pippi Longstocking movies! I can’t believe I forgot to add those. Especially since I *was* Pippi in my own mind!

17. Sheila says:

I about freaked out when I saw those two movie posters – I LOVED both of them and it seems like hardly anyone has heard of them. Especially TWITW. I too hate scary movies but my friends and I watched both of those at pretty much every sleepover in elementary school. Well, those two and Space Camp. Did you like that one?

I also loved Neverending Story, and I’m with Kathleen on The Dark Crystal. (Can you still hear the “hmmmmmmmm”?) Creepy but entertaining. Thanks for this fun memory of childhood!

18. Dorene says:

The Last Unicorn was pretty much on repeat at our house. Also? Poltergeist. I loved scary movies. On the other end of the spectrum….Grease 2. I knew all the words.

19. Meg says:

This is one of those conversations that reminds me I was raised by hippies and missed so much pop culture! I watched Labrynth as a kid at a friends house and I was so scared of David Bowie (but of course, I didn’t know he was David Bowie… pop culture again)!

I finally saw Ghostbusters and The Dark Crystal and Labrynth and so forth in college when my friends found out I didn’t watch TV growing up.

20. LaLuna says:

Just FYI (you probably already know but..) Target has a Goonies T-shirt in the mens department. Every time I wear mine I get at least one person commenting on how much they love the movie.

21. brit says:

Seriously, Watcher in the woods, scariest movie every. I’m creeped out just thinking about it….If I can’t sleep tonight I blame you NERAK…..

22. gingermog says:

I never saw the last Unicorn but I am going to try and seek it out as it looks beautiful. I work in animation and the animated films I saw as a kid really inspired me, but I have found a few times in re-watching old favourites that the animation isn’t as good as I remembered as a kid. Like your imagination does the movement for you. The Rats of Nihm has great colours but was obviously done on a budget – but as long as the story gets across, right? Watership Down on the other hand makes me cry not because of the rabbits who die but the amazing hand drawn animation. Next time you watch it look at how beautiful the water effects are, the scenery, how those rabbits really live. It takes 25 drawn frames to make a second of animation which equals a lot of people sitting at their desks drawing for hours and hours. Ahem enough of the rant.

I loved the Goonies too but something has always mystified me… at the very end when they are on the beach there is a reference to Giant Sushi? ( Is it Mouth who says this? ) As a kid I thought a scene had been edited out for the UK version.Can anybody solve this twenty year mystery for me. Thank you.

23. Annabelle says:

Ooh, The Watcher in the Woods. I LOVED that book – don’t think I ever saw the movie. Oddly, I can’t find a readily-available copy of it at my library, which makes me sad. I’d loooove to read it again.

The Last Unicorn looks good, too – I might have to hunt that down and torture my husband.

Speaking of torture, we used to walk to the local video place and I would ALWAYS make my brother see the Neverending Story. Even now I can picture scenes from it.

Top Gun (when we got older). Watched it for the first time at a friend’s 11 yr birthday party sleepover. Hm. Seems a bit racy for 10-11 yr olds, now that I think about it.

24. Ashley says:

So I’m almost a month late on this, but I remember going to the video rental place and every single time we went I got a live version of “The Little Mermaid” with Pam Dawber (sp?) as the main character. It was from this series of movies… Fairy Tale Theater or something? They were live action versions of fairy tales. I thought it was like, the greatest movie ever created. Also, neverending story, labyrinth, and the secret of nimh.

25. Ashley says:

Aha! Just looked it up. Apparently it was Shelly Duval’s Faerie Tale Theater and it was a tv show! The episodes were already out on vhs when I saw them. And holy moly. Talk about all star casts! Each episode was full of famous people. Haha, the things that go right over your head when you’re young…