Me = Awesome. And also? Modest.

Teacher Treat Bags

I decided to make treat bags for the kid’s teachers this year. I knew I had to put cake poppers in them, of course, but I always worry that’s too much sweetness for someone. They’re just SO RICH. SO, I decided to try to play with a recipe my friend Shannon show me for a mix that had candy-coated bugels. I bought the ingredients but couldn’t find the red candy-coating anywhere. All gone. SO – I improvised. I did WHITE candy coated bugels AND pretzels and put green sprinkles on one and red on the other. Let me tell you the most valuable lesson learned. Candy-Coated Bugels Are The Most Amazing Things In The World. Donnie has been cursing me for making them because he can’t stop eating them. Then, I asked my Mom for her Chex Mix recipe (turns out it’s on the box of Chex Mix – DUH.) and my idea was born. CHRISTMAS TREAT TRIFECTA!

1) SWEET: Cake Poppers
2) SALTY: Chex Mix (I manipulated the recipe a bit to my own personal taste. I almost doubled the seasoning. Heh.)
3) SWEET/SALTY: Bags of candy-coated bugels AND pretzels AND peanut-butter M&Ms.

Best. Batch. Of. Snack. Ever.

I was going to use the Orange You Lucky labels by themselves, but then just added a list of what was in the bags. The little bags inside were a little hard to see into so I wanted the label on the outside to tell what was inside.

I was quite proud of the entire idea. It took FOREVER, but as I’ve mentioned before, the teachers at NIkki’s preschool are like my friends. I cherish the care they give my kids and love them all. The effort was justified. And of course I had several other events I could use the extras for: E’s cast party and other small occasions here and there. All in all? I was quite proud of my project and how it turned out. As an added bonus, I made them each a glass-tile necklace and attached it to the bag. They love me, of course.

And – while we’re talking about my awesomeness (and modesty, of course) – look at the painting I did at My Spirited Art last night. I’m so proud of this I could BURST.

My painting

I’ve been on an owl kick so as soon as I saw this I decide to sign up. And I LOVE THE OWL. I think I’m going to take the lessons learned last night and paint a canvas of JUST the owl. Look at how cute he is!

My painting

Okay.That’s all for the awesome things I do for now. Next up? Finding my son after having ingested the entire felt piece of a Crayola marker. That was REALLY awesome.

1. Jen says:

That is so funny, I’ve randomly been on a total owl kick the last few months, too. I even said exactly that to a friend of mine a few weeks ago. And I love your owl painting – so cute!

And you ARE totally awesome! :)

2. Brenda says:

Cute owl painting! I so want to make the bugal/mix! I saw the recipe the other day when you posted it on Twitter? Facebook? and printed it out right then. Must put the ingredients on my shopping list right now before I forget.

3. brit says:

I LOOOOOVEEE IT. WITH ALL OF MY INNER BEING. Wouldn’t it make a great bloggety background? Need some one to try it out? I’M HERE FOR YOU!

I’M SO EXCITED I’M YELLING IT IT AWESOME!

4. Lisa says:

I love that painting! I want to do one, they need to do that one again.

I always double the seasoning in my Chex Mix and people love it.

5. YUM! i’m totally going to make some bugles!!! and your painting is FABULOUS!!! so so awesome :)

6. Cara says:

That’s it – you can never again say you’re not crafty.

7. Laughing (really hard) at the Chex Mix thing. hehe. Totally something I would do.

Love all of this. I was going to make some yummy treats for my daughter’s teachers but learned that some teachers won’t eat food made by parents (your teachers know you – that is different…I don’t really know my daughter’s teachers at all). What a thoughtful and yummy bag of treats! You rock.

And aren’t those painting places fun? I went to a couple and know a girlfriend and I get together and paint once a month or so. I just finished a painting for my mom for Christmas.

8. yueqing says:

Your owl painting is so pretty~~

Your painting is totally adorable! As are you, of course, and yes you ARE awesome!

10. Holly says:

Wow that painting is awesome! The owl is so cute!

11. Wacky Mommy says:

i wish you were a parent at my school ;) Love the painting, it’s beautiful.

12. Kathleen says:

Now I’m hungry. The painting pics loaded first before the text, and I thought this was going to be something you bought for Wes’s room. So – pretty professional looking and fun!