OMG…Spicy Saltines aka Firecrackers

My friend Karen brings Spicy Saltines to gatherings sometimes and I tend to hover around the container eating them until I either (A) Throw up or (B) Run out. I love them so much I have found myself often dreaming about them. THIS IS NOT A LIE.

I finally looked up a few recipes recently as I’m sick of just waiting until the next time I see Karen and hoping she’ll bring them. Why don’t I make them myself? That would make more sense. Except for now? I’m going to eat them every second of every day until I die. Which will be soon because these things are NOT HEALTHY SNACKS.

Without further ado – the easiest snack recipe in the world: Spicy Saltines.

Ingredients

• 3 sleeves of Saltines
  • 1 c. of oil
  • 1 envelope of ranch dressing mix
  • 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
  • 2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1-gallon ziploc bag

Instructions

• Put the sleeves of crackers in the Ziploc bag.
  • Mix oil, pepper and garlic power in container that can pour (I use my pyrex measuring cup)
  • Pour mix over crackers and swish around a bit. Lay flat for 20 minutes.
  • Flip bag for another 20 minutes.
  • Maybe flip again twice, in 15-minutes intervals, or just give up trying to coat crackers evenly and dump entire bag out into your mouth.

Here are some pictures below of the process. And, yes. I included a picture of the mess I made dropping several on the floor. I’m keeping it real here, people.

Haha I greatly appreciate your photographic honesty ;)

2. Carrisa says:

I cannot tell you how addicted I am to these crackers. I pretty much have had to stop making them. We actually use a ranch packet and red pepper flakes. It’s insane.

• Carrisa says:

It’s funny, I guess the first time I read this I didn’t notice that you had listed a ranch packet in the ingredients. So now my comment seems dumb. I still want some of these crackers but my new diet won’t let me have any because I can’t stop at just a few.

• Zoot says:

NO. It was an HTML formatting issue. I typed one of the listing tags wrong and that bullet became invisible. I didn’t realize it until later. My bad! :)

(PS, if you changed the cracker, maybe to a triscuit or something? It still wouldn’t be healthy haha but it might be slightly healthiER.)

4. nadine says:

After I saw your tweet I looked up the recipe for these and I just can’t imagine that they could be anything but terribly oily/greasy. What *is* the texture like once they’ve soaked up all of that oil?

5. Maggie says:

I’ve always heard of this recipe with oyster crackers.

Oh NO. Now I have to try these, minus the red pepper flakes.

7. Sweet T says:

I make these and almost eat all of them before I get to where I’m supposed to be with them! After coating, I also like to bake them at a low temperature for a few minutes. SO YUMMY!!

8. Karen says:

My friend makes these and calls them fire crackers. She also usually makes them around the 4th of July. They’re so good!

9. Sherry says:

We make these with a big bag of pretzels and add some Lemon Pepper seasoning. Mmmmm.

10. Sarah Lynn says:

Whoo awesome! So trying these tomorrow, I have a whole box of saltines in the house. :)

11. LisaK says:

Making these!

12. JB Lynn says:

At our house we call these “Fire Crackers” and we serve them at the 4th of July BBQ.

13. yueqing says:

LOL..u should not buy appetizing pictures of spicy saltines on your blog =P it makes me crave LOL U make me burst out laughing when u say u dream about spicy saltines =P

14. Kristen says:

Those sound really good. I’m going to definitely make those sometime.

15. junkie says:

wow…first you got me making the cake poppers. now i TOTALLY will be making these next! these are much more up my alley anyway since i always choose salty over sweet.

16. Bob says:

Spec’s Liquors in Houston sells these under the name Texas Firecrackers. 10.24 oz for around $5.00. I’m anxious to try out your receipe. Thanks.

17. Sarah Lena says:

I’m only like a year late to this party – what kind of oil do you use? Olive? Canola? Cocount?

• zoot says:

I’ve used Olive and Canola and they both turned out fine. But I really thing it wouldn’t matter if you just have a preference for health or taste reasons to use any other oil. I think it’s just the consistency that’s important b/c the seasoning really is so powerful I think any flavor of the oil is not going to make a difference, but let me know if you discover otherwise!

18. Gee Ree says:

Hi, I made these this weekend and they are REE-DIC-ULOUSLY tasty, kicky & addicting. I have to say, I made them with extra virgin olive oil (its all I had on hand and I couldn’t wait one more minute to go buy anything else) and I think it added a very obvious (and for me yummy) flavor.
    Does anyone know how long these will keep? I mean, if you can hide them from yourself so that you don’t eat every single one the first hour…

19. Jennifer says:

I have made these too many times to count all summer long…However I tweaked the recipe because they were way toooo spicy…even for my husband.

Well imagine how DUMB i felt when for whatever reason, I just realized (after reading the recipe over and over again while making them) that I have been using 2 Tablespoons of RED PEPPER.

Not red pepper FLAKES. omg.

20. Dianna Kelly says:

Do the crackers get crisp? I make something similar with pretzels but need to bake in oven 325 for 2 rotations of 10 minutes.

21. Michelle Mata says:

I make these quite often and you can actually use the 4 sleeves of crackers. I usually put the crackers in an old washed out 1 gallon ice cream container and prepare the crackers there then transfer to another container or Ziploc baggies. You can try using Ritz Crackers as well. Sometimes I add some cayenne pepper for a little extra kick. In my family even the little ones love them.

22. Patti says:

I noticed that there are some recipes for these crackers that require baking @ 250. Yours don’t, that’s a good thing.

• joni says:

I actually use a mixture of minature saltines and cheez it crackers so people have a bit of variety!!! I make these for everything. Heading to Halloween Ballroom Dances filled with halloween zip lock snack baggies. Great treats for us older kids!!!

23. Eb says:

I’m a year and a half late to this party, although I have been hearing friends rave about these for about a year. Have been afraid I would mess them up — oil on crackers…good?!? Miss Zoot, you and those commenting have convinced me to give it a try. Am looking forward to being WOW-ed! Thanks, all! (NOTE TO OTHER PARTY LATE-COMERS: Try Rolo (chocolate-caramel candy) on mini-pretzels with pecan or walnut halves on top. AWESOME! On parchment paper lined cookie sheet, put candy on mini-pretzel, put in preheated 350 deg. oven for 5 min., immediately squish candy by pressing nut half on top, let cool.)

24. Frances says:

I make these but use the extra light olive oil and add just a pinch of dry mustard powder to the mix. It gives it a slight tang. Ii also heat the oil in the microwave for a few seconds to help the spices and dressing mix together before I pour it over the crackers. Wonderful snack!

25. Shelly B. says:

I want to make these so badly right now for the football game in an hour or so, but don’t have any dry ranch mix…driving me crazy!!!

26. Sandy N says:

I have been making these for a while… but I use 6 sleeves of saltines, 1 1/2 C canola oil, 1 envelope of ranch dip mix, 2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes and 1 tsp of garlic powder. I had to buy the 2.5 gal. zip lock bag to hold all the crackers, but there’s plenty of seasoning for that many crackers. Everyone in my family LOVES them, and I bring them into work and they’re gone in 2 seconds. :)

27. Susan N says:

I love this recipe and it is made even better by using Hidden Valley Spicy Ranch instead of just the plain Ranch. Instead of red pepper flakes, I use about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne (even with the spicy dressing) It gives it a kick but I don’t find it too spicy. I’ve also found that if you can stand to let the mix sit at least 6-8 hours (taste testing along the way, of course) it will really penetrate all of the crackers. I gently turn the bag over every hour or so

28. Karen says:

SO EASY and YUM!! I only use 1 Tablespoon of the Red Pepper Flakes – or I can not handle the heat!! — these are called ALABAMA FIRECRACKERS on some cooking recipe sites…so I am from that state – that works for me:)

29. Pat H. says:

I don’t know…these look very oily to me. I’m using 24 oz. of oyster crackers. I’m cooking them in the microwave for a few seconds. If they turn out I’m bringing them to super bowl (go San Francisco!). I’ll let you know if they’re a hit!

30. nature says:

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment.

I do think that you ought to publish more about this subject, it
    may not be a taboo matter but typically folks don’t talk about such topics. To the next! Best wishes!!

31. Flo says:

Well I didnt find where u add the ranch dressing. Do u added to the oil,garlic pwder, & red pepper mix?

32. BJ says:

WARNING: DON’T eat the crumbs at the bottom of the baggie! Whoooo! HOT!!!

33. Kimberley says:

I was wondering if you ever thought of changing the structure of
    your site? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it
    better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images.

Maybe you could space it out better?

My web-site :: web page; Kimberley,

34. Kelly says:

Can I use the buttermilk ranch mix or does it have to be the original ranch mix?

35. Krystal says:

My husband and I have been making these for years. We got the recipe from my sister in laws dad. He has been making them for many, many years. We fell in love with them. So simple, and delicious!!!