The original recipe for the Beer Chicken I have come to love came from a site that has since moved. The moved recipe is here. The writer, Andreanna, now writes at a splendid new site that you should be following. Especially if you have gluten sensitivities or if you have a primal diet. HOWEVER – I have neither issue and I love just about every recipe of hers I try. So you should follow her NO MATTER WHO YOU ARE.
ANYWAY…She has the recipe for beer chicken that has become a staple in my family. It is why I bought another big crockpot like you see in the picture, so I could cook TWO at a time for family dinner nights. But one chicken? Enough for my 5-member family and usually gives plenty of leftovers. (For the record? Leftovers? MAKE the BEST chicken sandwiches EVER.)
Without further ado…ANDREANNA’S BEER CHICKEN, varied every-so slightly due to the tastes of my family.
- 7-8 lb oven roaster chicken (Although my grocery store often only has 5lb+ fryers, and they work fine too. Just gives less meat.
- One onion cut into large pieces
- Several stalks of celery (I use 2-3)
- 2 oranges, sliced.
- 1 bottle of Guinness draught beer
- Salt, pepper, paprika, thyme.
- Put the chicken in the crockpot, boobs up. (Boobs are squishy! Am I the only one who sometimes struggles with the orientation of a whole chicken? If so, remember boobs are squishy! Back is not.)
- Place chunks of onion in first, squishing in around chicken
- Lay celery stalks around chicken
- Place slices of oranges around chicken
- Pour beer in over the entire chicken.
- Sprinkle top of chicken with seasonings.
- Cook on low 5+ hours, until chicken is 165Â° internally.
SO GOOD. Especially the next day on sandwiches. If you want to know how to make use of all of the bones and broth etc…go to the orignal recipe where you can see how to make stock and soup out of the leftovers. I’m honestly too lazy to attempt that. But if you do? YOU WIN THE AWESOME COOK AWARD!