Flexible Fruit Salad (A Summer Staple)

Fruit Salad

Every Sunday that we host family dinner (and even some Sundays we don’t) I whip up some of this fresh fruit salad. It is a GREAT summer recipe and a great side dish for any meal. It requires absolutely no skill whatsoever. You just get a big salad bowl and buy whatever quantity of fruits fits into your budget or match your tastebuds for the week. I usually go with about 5 apples, and then sprinkle red and green grapes with 1lb of sliced strawberries. I basically fill the bowl with a different variation of these fruits every week. You can even mix and match other fruits as you see fit – like blackberries, kiwi, pineapple. I add blueberries AFTER I add the dressing, which is the key, because I don’t want to squish the blueberries as I stir in the dressing. The key? Is the dressing (photographed above).

DRESSING: About a 1 1/2 Cups of Vanilla yogurt and about 1/8 Cup Agave Nectar.

THAT’S IT.

And you may increase or decrease either ingredient based on your preference. Agave Nectar is quite sweet, this may mean you want more or less, depending on your own taste buds. You may also like more dressing in your fruit salad, although I feel like this is quite a bit. It’s a great dish to tinker with because you really can’t go wrong.

This has staying power as well as Wes, E and I eat on it for several days AFTER Sunday dinner. I even add granola to it for breakfast. It stores well for several days and is a great healthy and sweet treat for the summer. Here is the final product which I eat in LARGE QUANTITIES.

Fruit Salad

1. Brenda says:

sounds yummmy! I bet it would be good with some pecans sprinkled over it too. I’m going to try this since my daughter loves fruit salad and vanilla yogurt.

• Brenda says:

I did this yesterday but since I couldn’t find Vanilla Yogurt at my little grocery store, I just dumped a medium size can of pineapple tidbits (juice and all) in with it. It is delicious!

2. yueqing says:

YUmmy fruit dish~~

3. CraftyHope says:

OH YUM! I will definitely be making and consuming large quantities of this soon!
    Thanks so much for sharing it.

4. Wacky Mommy says:

Great recipe, and so pretty! thank you, Kim. Have a great weekend.

5. Amber says:

I’m so making this at the beach. Thanks!

6. Rachel says:

I made this yesterday for a get together and it was very popular. I used a big salad bowl and it was over half gone with 10 “meat and potatoes” type adults. Great recipe :)

7. Wow. This looks like something I’d be unable to screw up. MUST TRY IT.

8. Melissa says:

How do you keep the apples from turning if it’s not all eaten at once? I can’t wait to try this!

9. Jan A. says:

Apples won’t turn dark if you combine the apples with canned pineapple and juice first in the bowl. Stir gently to coat apples. Continue with other fruits.

10. Tanna says:

I’m going to make this for our family reunion tomorrow! SO simple and looks yummy!! Thanks.

11. Kristy says:

What if I can’t find agave nectar?? Could I substitue honey? The same amount? I’m hosting a bridal shower for my brother’s fiance next weekend and this will be perfect! Thanks!

12. Whitney says:

I make this exact salad except I use one container of vanilla yogurt mixed with one container of lemon yogurt! yum!