What I’m Watching Over The Break

I mentioned on Facebook this weekend that I hate the weeks after Christmas because the excitement of Christmas is over but we STILL have to wait a few weeks to watch new episodes of any of our TV shows.

After the Golden Globe awards were announced all of my favorite TV critics were excited that Homeland was recognized. Maybe even a bit pissed they weren’t recognized more. Now, I usually don’t like programming on the Premium channels. I joke and say it’s because I don’t like Grown-Up TV. But honestly? That’s not far from the truth. If it’s on a premium channel it’s because it has foul language or sex or violence and I just don’t like watching that stuff on my TV shows.

I KNOW! I’m such a prude.

But something about the way the critics wrote about Homeland intrigued me. They mentioned a lot about the character development. And I love me some good character development.

I gave it a try last week some time using Xfinity OnDemand and I am TOTALLY hooked. (It’s free for us because we subscribe to those Premium channels. Donnie is not as much of a prude as I am.) And yes – it’s all about the character development. I mean, the terrorist plotlines are gripping and I have no idea who is good and who is bad and they throw twists and it’s great. But these characters? Totally 3-dimensional and very complicated. I love it.

I’m also still trying to work my way through Doctor Who. I’m still on Season One, and I enjoy it, it’s just really daunting because I’m SO BEHIND. But I like it! And I’m excited about finally adding Doctor Who to my Geek Cred. All of my true Geek TV friends love Doctor Who, and I’ve always felt a little ashamed that I know nothing about it. I’m watching it using our Roku Box and my Amazon Prime account so it’s free. Yay for free TV!

What other TV shows could I be watching over the break that are Free? I mean, I have 6+ seasons of Doctor Who to keep me busy, but I was just wondering if you had any other suggestions?

Doctor Who is WONDERFUL. The Christopher Eggelston season is pretty “meh” because they were trying to figure out the reboot still but the David Tennant years are wonderful and Matt Smith is growing on me bit by bit. Once you get through those you’ll have Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Chronicles that are written in the same universe (Sarah Jane has a long and varied history with the Doctor but the chronicles are a younger kids show (but still good)). Oh my GOODNESS I have a lot of opinions on the good Doctor.

2. Monica says:

I love that actor in Homeland…Damian Lewis. He was Maj. Winters in Band of Brothers. I’d watch Homeland just for him, if I had premium channels.

What about watching Dexter? We saw the first season of that on regular TV during the writer’s strike, and it was good. It was toned down since it was network, but I hear great things about it.

3. Lynn says:

I watched Pushing Up Daisies on our netflix – that was a fun series. Also, I liked Veronica Mars, and my favorite ever – Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Oh, and Charmed is good, too. They’re all reruns, but I missed all of them when they were on regular tv.

4. Sam says:

Oh, I am SO glad you mentioned how you’re watching Homeland. We have HBO but not Showtime, and I am DYING to see what all the fuss is about. Love Claire Danes and Damian Lewis already.

We’re catching up on Dr. Who, too! And we do love it. I especially like the creepy ones. Do you feel like you need subtitles sometimes? Those English accents are tricky and the music on the show can be way too loud.

5. YOUR MOM says:

How cool. I started watching Homeland recently too!! Finally got up to date and I love it. When I first watched it I didn’t like the first episode. When I was forced (due to no up dated programs) to watch it I gave Claire more of a chance and I am now addicted!!

6. MrsDragon says:

If you haven’t watched it already, check our Breaking Bad. We’re in the middle of season 3 right now and it just keeps getting better and better. There’s sex, drugs, and plenty of violence but the show is really and truly about the characters. I’ve heard amazing things about Warehouse 13, but haven’t managed to watch it yet.

7. Jessica says:

I finally started watching Homeland too and really liked it a lot. Very intense and great storytelling. Let me know what you think of the finale though, I was…a little let down.