I read these from friends every year, but reading Sarah’s yesterday really inspired me to FINALLY DO MY OWN, DAMMIT.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? Ran the entirety of a half-marathon, ran a race that involved jumping in mud and climbing over walls, was assistant-producer on a musical, learned to do hair for the girls in that musical (including putting on wigs and doing french twists!), did a plank for 3-minutes…HOLY CRAP. I did a lot of stuff this year for the first time. Yay me!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I always keep up with the general theme of the resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Some friends, yes. No family.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No close family, thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit? None. And that answer would hold true for every year before this as I’ve never left the country.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011? Easy: MORE TIME.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Blizzard (for here) in January, E’s first solo singing lines in a musical in March, Tornado in April, half-marathon in November. It’s been a great year.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I’ve been telling everyone, “2011 was the year Kim got into shape.” And that is true to epic levels. I’m so proud of this it makes me tear up sometimes.
9. What was your biggest failure? I did not take as many pictures as I like to. I’m quite disappointed in myself for that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nope! Yay! I did have a few issues with my reproductive system but those are such a constant that they don’t slow me down as much as they used to.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Probably the year of boot camp. I’m convinced that decision is what put me on the path to fitness this year.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? MINE. What the heck? Of course I’m going to say Me! I AM AWESOME. But, I’ll also praise Donnie for having to carry more parental obligations with my new-found running habits and of course E always gets credit for being Parent #3 so often when Donnie and I want to go for a run.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? AMY POHLER. I’m depressed because she isn’t my best friend yet. YET.
14. Where did most of your money go? Mortgage. No contest.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Lots of things! Every race and competition! And the final Harry Potter Movie! And E’s musical! And my new boots!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011? ‘Moves like Jagger’ – It’s on my running playlist and the kids ask to hear it ALL THE TIME.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? HAPPIER
b) thinner or fatter? STONGER (Stolen from Sarah)
c) richer or poorer? SAME
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Taken more outings with the kids. I think that’s why I didn’t have as many pictures this year. I had to be very deliberate every few weeks to SCHEDULE outings, that’s how busy life is. We used to just get up and go.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Thinking about my dirty house. I wish I could either A) Afford someone to clean (I keep things picked up, I just don’t clean) or B) Stop caring so much. My Dad didn’t care and I kinda wish I was more like that.
20. How did you spend Christmas? With all three kids. That only happens every other year so it’s nice when it happens.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011? I really think Donnie and I fell in love in a different way this year as it’s the first year we’ve exercised together and it added a whole new dimension to our marriage. I love it.
22. What was your favorite TV program? I’m going to list NEW shows (new to me, anyway) that I put on my “favorites” list this year: Revenge, Happy Endings, Parks and Recreation, Homeland, Once Upon a Time, Pretty Little Liars
23. This question has been deleted because it’s SOOO teenage emo Xanga shit. (This is what Sarah replaced #23 with and I’m too lazy to look up the original question and I kinda like how she rephrased it anyway. She’s funny, that Sarah.)
24. What was the best book you read? Divergent, hands down. <<< Sarah’s answer and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY AGREE.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Eh. I just download songs for my running playlists, I don’t really explore music. Although, I did kinda obsess over the cast recording of Book of Mormon for awhile.
26. What did you want and get? Just Dance 3
27. What did you want and not get? Nothing off the top of my head.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? BAH. I don’t know! I loved Bridesmaids, Ghost Protocol, the last Harry Potter and I’m sure several others. But nothing jumps out at me as BEST! BEST! BEST!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 36 and I think I just did the usual, dinner and a movie. Not sure!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Nothing. Seriously. This has been a great year!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? I HAVE FASHION THIS YEAR. This is the first year I’ve ever had any style and I owe it all to my daughter. I guess I’m siding on a bit of funky/young because my biggest concern is always: Am I too old to wear this? I like Neutrals with CRAZY pops of color in weird places. I like my boots. I like leg warmers. I like the red jeans I just wore the other night. I’m just glad I have ANY style/fashion sense, to be honest with you.
32. What kept you sane? Running. No lie.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Darren Criss. I loved him way back when he did the Harry Potter musical spoof and then BAM! He became famous FOR REELZ and I’ve loved keeping up with his career. The VERY close second that grew out of the FIRST is: Chris Colfer. He is – hands down – my favorite young celebrity right now. I love the role model he is for gay teens and I love his wit/humor when he’s being interviewed. I can’t wait to read his book or see the movie he wrote. I also love that one time he had to use the bathroom on set and accidentally took a wrong turn and ended up peeing on the Monk soundstage instead of a real bathroom. BEST CELEBRITY STORY EVER.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? I’m very bitter at politics in general because it takes so much to really get so little done. But the issues that always take my heart are LGBT issues and reproductive rights. They will always be my top concerns.
35. Who did you miss? As always: My Dad.
36. Who was the best new person you met? I’m not going to say “one” person but I always joke that LAST year was the year I made book club and theatre friends, this year is the year I made boot camp and running friends. LOVE my exercise friends, they keep me in line.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011. The hardest step in fitness is the one walking OUT THE DOOR. Also? Right now? Someone busier than me is going for a run. So I really don’t have an excuse.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I like you so much better when you’re naked. Ida Marie
That’s just the most recent song I’ve bought and thought it worked quite well THANK YOU VERY MUCH.