Ripples.

I had a tough day yesterday. My endometriosis is making my life miserable as it is prone to do monthly; and I had a long day that ended with the realization that I had forgotten to send an important and time-sensitive email to a group of about 60 people. I finally got home, put the kids to bed and played around on the interwebs, mentally complaining about the stupid crap going on in my life.

And then I read that Susan had lost her battle with cancer and my perspective was rightfully shifted.

I didn’t know Susan any more than I know anyone I read daily, and we knew her death was near, but it still hit me hard and I found myself sobbing. We become so close through these computer screens, closer than outsiders realize, and things like this can remind you how real the bonds are.

Her husband asked that in leiu of flower we donate to Inflammatory Breast Cancer Research

Or please choose to make a difference somewhere, anywhere, to anyone.

I did the easy part – I donated. The second part is harder. Susan made what I often refer to as a Ripple of Awesome and it touches so many lives that – someday – it will come full circle back to her family. Hopefully, several times over. And today I hope to add to that. I’m not going to change the world today, I’m not that naive, but I can try to at least spread joy, happiness, try to “make a difference” in whatever small ways I can. It’s really what I should be doing every day, but it’s shakeups like this that remind me of that. That redirect me. Reorient me. Point me in the direction I should be going instead of the easy path.

It’s the least I can do to show the world that these connections we make through our blogs, they are real. They can make real change in lives. These blogs allow voices like Susan’s the platform to inspire. To heal. To change. And when one of those voices is silenced, the sadness we all feel is real too.

1. Julie says:

You do make a difference! Due to your “ripples”, I have decided to start a running program. I’ve never run in my life! So, thank you for your dedication to running and telling us all about it. It’s 35 degrees out and I’m about to go out to run. :)

2. Monica says:

I think you make a difference, too! I am not about to start running, but I am inspired by the changes you’ve made. For me, during the last presidential election, you inspired me to get out there and work for what I believe in. I had never done that before. You introduced me to the Courage Campaign and now I do what I can for them. I’d never have even heard of them if not for you. I always enjoy reading your blog and seeing pictures of your kids. You should never underestimate how much you mean to all of us, in our own individual ways.

3. Cara says:

Nobody, absolutely nobody, truly changes the world single-handedly. They get out there and do good, by doing so they inspire others to do good and the cumulative effect changes the world. Mother Teresa, Ghandi, Steve Jobs, pick your hero – they all worked as part of a community. Today, you’re consciously part of that cumulative effect, and because of your reminder I will be more mindful of the impact of my actions today, too.

4. Trisha says:

Thank you for putting into words what I couldn’t express yesterday. I was overcome when I read of Susan’s passing, and I couldn’t even find the words to leave a comment for her family. Everything felt trite and worthless. She did make changes, to many lives like mine, that she didn’t even know were out there. I guess the first thing I’m doing to make the world a better place is leaving this comment for you. I read you every day, and I have never commented (at least, I don’t think I have). I often feel like I would be intruding to leave comments, not just here, but on all the blogs I read. I know that’s silly, but there you have it. So, Kim, I want you to know I’m out here, and that I appreciate all the time and effort you put into sharing your life and stories.

I bet the people who didn’t get the email last night will still find a way to make things work. Don’t beat yourself up over it.

5. yuet-ching says:

Yep true. Great post~ and don’t be too hard on yourself~

6. Jana Frerichs says:

You make me want to be a better person all the time. Awhile back you had posted about treating everyone well because you didn’t know what was going in their life. That day I took that and ran. EVERYDAY I think about that and try to be kind and gentle with everyone I come across. You are always pushing yourself and as far as I can see you rarely take the easy path. And sometimes it’s the path to take. And I wouldn’t say donating $ is the easy thing to do. You are making a contribution to better the lives of the people who are affected by breast cancer. That is AWESOME and so are you!