How Lazy People Fold Fitted Sheets (In Less Than 5 Seconds)

It’s crap like this that gives Martha Stewart a bad name.

I have never…EVER…in my life spent more than 2-3 seconds folding a fitted sheet. And those methods like Martha Stewart proposes? Take a good minute or two, depending on how picky you are. Maybe even longer. Not only am I not picky, but I am extremely lazy…too lazy – in fact – to spend more time folding sheets than I do wiping my butt.

(WHAT?)

But seriously. Those “How To Fold A Fitted Sheet” things make feel equal parts
A) Shame – for not caring enough to want to learn that method and
B) Pride – for not caring enough to want to learn that method.

Now…I spend a LOT of time framing pictures around my house. And organizing my office supplies. And my craft closet. I get that we each have our things we care about. I would just like to go on the record saying that folding a fitted sheet perfectly – falls below “clean baseboards” and “dust-free blinds” on the list of Stuff I Care About.

So…if you’re like me and don’t even feel like wasting time looking at the folded sheet tutorial? Then here is the Fitted Sheet Folding Method just for you!

fold

Let me start by saying that I really had to struggle to turn this into five steps. In reality? It’s just one more step more than “Wad Up And Cram On Shelf.” And I would totally use that method if my shelves weren’t better suited to holding a faux-folded sheet as the wadded up method tends to lead to sheets falling onto the floor of my closet.

BECAUSE…BELIEVE ME…I HAVE TRIED.

Basically? It’s a roll instead of a wad. With a nice faux-fold at the end to give you a side of the wad to place outwards on your shelf so it at least looks like you folded it. Bonus points? The same method can be used for a flat sheet! It’s that advanced!

folded

See? It almost looks like those sheets are folded! When we know the truth. That it took you 5 seconds to do BOTH. Giving you more time to drool over shirtless men on The Arrow. (HEY! The show is good! I swear! Especially if you like shirtless men.)

photo(1)And if you’re curious about other domestic methods for the lazy? I also subscribe to the Never Put The Clean Clothes Away method of laundry sorting. The kids just get their clean clothes out of their baskets in the laundry room every day! And put the dirty ones in a pile in their room! This way, I never have to go upstairs with clothes. I only have to throw the dirty pile downstairs periodically. And the kids love it! It’s like a treasure hunt for their desired outfit ever day!

Bonus Points: When you can convince your kids that mismatched socks are cool. Which I have done. Eliminating the need to sort or pair up their socks.

Feel free to pay homage to my domestic supremacy however you see fit.

1. Jenny says:

Hmm, this sounds a lot like my answer to recipe email chains. I have a “go to” recipe for pb&j that I like to post! Thanks for this :). Made my day!

2. Jennifer says:

I just take everything in the sheet set and put it in one of the pillowcases. Looks neater, everything is together and is fast.

3. Bobbie says:

And I just strip the bed, wash the sheets, and put them back on the bed. Saves the having to fold them step.

• Charlene says:

Me, too! I only have to fold sheets if I happen to have overnight company. Otherwise, I fail to see the point, and having a naked bed for a couple of hours doesn’t bother me in the least.

4. jen says:

You are the Yoda of domestic house cleaning… teach on wise one :)

5. Monica says:

I usually use Bobbie’s method of washing them and putting them right back on the bed, but I like your folding method a lot. For years I tried to perfect my method of folding those dang fitted sheets. Your method is stress-free. Thank you from one lazy housekeeper to another!

6. I usually do Bobbie’s method, too! I do fold fitted sheets mostly because I don’t want to waste space in my linen closet. The technique is funny because it is actually quite simple and logical…..once you get the hang of it. :-)

However, I do not believe I have cleaned the baseboards since moving into this house. Ouch.

Count another for Bobbi’s method here – largely because I don’t really have more than one set of sheets! (Certainly not that I like, anyway.) Actually, this reminds me, I need to wash my sheets. Dangit.
    Also, Arrow? Mmmmm yes verrrry nice scenery ;-)

8. Alicia says:

Don’t hate on me. I fold my fitted sheets. It really is a neat trick. I learned how to do it so I could squeeze more into my linen closet. I think I have a sheet addiction. I am so ashamed. ;-)

• zoot says:

That’s okay, Alicia. I’m fairly certain no one cares for their office supplies like I do, nor are as organized and compulsive about backing up and printing all of the photos they take :) We all have the things we do with more attention than other people!!!! :) I still love you!

9. Grace says:

Ditto Bobbie on wash and replace sheets on bed.
    Ditto Jen on Yoda (teach on).

Also… having a retired Monk-esque husband is totally awesome for housework. If stuff needs folding, if dishwasher needs stacking or emptying, if clothes need putting away…. Head to work or to the gym or the market and *poof* magic happens and the homestuff is done. Hee.

10. Liz says:

What’s your method for washing dishes?

11. Dilovely says:

I’m totally going to try that laundry thing. Awesome.

12. Audrey says:

I love you so much for this. I fold my fitted sheets in much the same way. I usually don’t even discover whether things (dryer sheets, pillow cases, socks) have gotten stuck in the corners of the sheet until I put it on the bed and see a big lump between the fitted sheet and mattress.