Facebook Does More Good Than Harm In My Life

Picture-1

A few of my Facebook friends gave up the social network last year for lent. It seems like even more are doing it this year. And I can honestly say – I don’t get it. I mean – back when everyone was playing Farmville? SURE! It takes up your time! Give it up! But does anyone do that anymore? People don’t, do they? Or do I just have my “blocked applications” set up so well I don’t see when people play Facebook games?

The majority of people I am friends with on Facebook, are my friends in my real life. I know some bloggers use Facebook like they use their blog, but I don’t. I use it as an extension of my real life, keeping in contact with people I know in the real world. Some who I see regularly – and some who I see rarely, but all who I care about. I can see pictures of my aunt’s dog or of Donnie’s aunt’s vacation. I find out that my friend got tickets to see Lady Gaga, or that a former classmate is pregnant. I see pictures of my friend’s kids at their sporting events or I get to read articles about interests I share with former co-workers.

Basically what I’m saying is, I LOVE FACEBOOK. And I don’t see why people would give it up!

It’s not just a sentimental tool – allowing me to keep up with people I care about. It’s also a practical tool. I plan runs on Facebook, and set up events. I keep up with what’s going on around the community and daily deals at my favorite restaurant. HELL! Donnie and I made Valentine’s Day plans based on a promotional flyer I saw on Facebook. Basically – what I’m saying is that Facebook does WAY more good in my life than bad.

What about you? Did you give it up? Did you think about giving it up? Am I just living in the perfect Facebook world full of rainbows and unicorns when everyone else is not quite as lucky?

1. Swistle says:

I agree. I don’t like when people give it up for Lent because they’re also depriving ME!

2. Melizzard says:

I agree FB is awesome. This past weekend we had a new family in our Mardi Gras Krewe (that I didn’t know) and when we both started posting pictures from the parades and other friends back home started commenting we realized that our kids had tons of mutual little friends from different activities and it was really fun to see all the people we had in common.

3. Steph T. says:

I won’t give up Facebook for Lent. It keeps me connected with all of my friends and family that are scattered all around the world. I have met many great people through events that I attended because of Facebook and Twitter…so no way. Plus, I’m still trying to make connections here at my new home and how better to do that than Facebook. :)

4. Carrie says:

I’ve had to cut down my Facebook because of the amount of political negativity and ignorance I CONSTANTLY see on there. And unfortunately I can’t unfriend some of these people. This morning I had to get off of FB because I saw a stay-at-home mother going on and on about how staying home elevates her to a higher esteem in God’s eyes. *eye roll* Still, I think it’s stupid for people to give up FB for lent, because there are MUCH BETTER things they could be giving up. FB is nothing.

• Zoot says:

I know what you mean. Sometimes I do have to step away when the politics get hairy. I only post the Gay Rights stuff because I want everyone to know that’s important to me, but I keep everything else out of there. I actually put some of my more liberal views in my FB About box so people can hopefully have warning before they friend me. I did have to unfriend someone once who posted a HORRID status saying they didn’t understand why straight people supported gay people, the person said, “You do understand how gay sex works, right? It’s disgusting” and then he went into DETAIL ABOUT IT.

Yeah. I unfriended him. :)

• Carrie says:

Ack. Yeah, I’ve had to unfriend a few people like that as well. I post gay rights stuff a lot too, but it’s NEVER anything bashing the other side.

• zoot says:

Yeah! That’s me. Mine’s more like, “Yay Progress!” type postings. Not, “You homophobic idiots suck!”

(Although, sometimes the urge is there.)

• zoot says:

HA! My blog totally held that last comment I wrote to you “in moderation” because I used the word SEX in it. My blog doesn’t even trust ME!

5. April says:

Three things:
    1) I agree with Carrie with the political negativity and ignorance
    2) I feel like lots of people are sharing these garbage meme-type things lately. You know, videos from a video site and not the actual source like you were saying, things that go viral but prob aren’t true, and cartoons/someecards. Half of my feed is this garbage.
    3) We are trying for #2 and all the pregnancy announcements for the summer babies were killing me.

So… with all of that, I actually quit for most of January. Now I’m back but I only check it like once a day. So I feel much more balanced with it.

• zoot says:

I do see a lot more of the “meme” type stuff lately, but not too much on my feed, not yet anyway. The birth/pregnancy stuff stabs my heart too, but I’m at the age where it’s just EVERYWHERE. ::sigh::

• April says:

I do feel alot better about the baby stuff after the holidays are over. I kept hearing, “Emmett would be such a good big brother, why don’t you give him a sibling?” By the time new year’s eve hit I swore I was going to grab the next person who said that by the hair. (why no, I’m totally not a violent person!) Why do people ask these ridiculous questions?!?!?!

6. Brenda says:

I couldn’t give up FB because most of my friends are people I’ve known online for the last 12 years (we met in an online group for pregnant women). We live all over the world and this is how we keep in touch now. I also keep up with extended family on FB. Like you, I have my settings for games blocked so well that I rarely see any of that any more–I know people are still playing games, I just don’t see it :) I belong to a lot of private groups so my home page may be sparse but I’m chatting away with people in groups–probably the best thing ever on FB.

7. Janet says:

I’d never give up on FB, that’s where I reconnected with Dave :-)

8. Elaine C. says:

I adore Facebook. I’m in the military and have moved a lot, as have many of my friends, so it helps me stay in touch with people all over the place. I also like that I can be as active or passive as I want, and I’ve got some fairly strict filters set up as well. I even filter out the content of a few of my friends (or family) so that I only see important life updates and not some of the random re-posts of pictures or politics. I know a few people giving it up for Lent and I agree with a previous commenter, good on them but it also deprives me! Fortunately most people who do that leave a phone number or e-mail so I can still be in touch through other means.

9. melaniek says:

I’m not giving it up either, but I do understand why some do. Facebook is awesome in many ways, but its also probably a contributing factor to the fact that I can procrastinate so easily. Clean the house or check facebook AGAIN kind of thing. I don’t know what I am giving up, usually I try to find good things to add instead of giving up. A random surprise pay for the guy/gal in line behind you at mcdonalds, feed a strangers expired meter, pray more often, offer encouragement to someone I suspect needs it, don’t skip church etc…. stuff I SHOULD be doing all the time but often don’t.

10. Lindsey says:

I dropped out of Facebook sometime last year because I found it was taking over my ‘extra’ time. I would take a minute here, a minute there, always needing to check people’s updates. I would get stressed if I was behind and saw all the flags on the app on my phone and iPad. It just became too much, and I knew I couldn’t just cut back and use it responsibly, so I cut myself off completely.

11. Gretchen says:

I’m right there with you. I wouldn’t be able to keep up with all my friends from high school, college and beyond without facebook. I am absolutely horrible about calling people to keep up so facebook has been a great way to keep in touch. Thankfully there have only been a few folks in my feed that are going away for lent. Hopefully it stays that way.

12. D says:

We don’t do Lent, but if we did, I couldn’t give up Facebook. As a SAHM, it is sometimes my only adult interaction for the day!

13. Jana Frerichs says:

I love FB. And it’s just another area that you have inspired me. I try to stay positive more often on there (like you) and ignore the negativity. It’s an amazing tool that keeps me connected to people who I would not regularly be in contact with.

14. Miss W says:

I don’t get it either. I can’t see something that keeps people connected as something to give up – would those people give up the telephone? Email? Where would you draw the line? Some things are just a part of modern life and as such are not things that should be given up. Give up gaming on facebook, or other video games, but to give up connectivity to other people? Makes no sense.

15. I’m always sad when my friends give up FB for lent (a few do every year). It isn’t a worthless time suck in my estimation. I don’t see how keeping up with people I care about (my friends are mostly real life with a few online adoption/blog friends who I feel connected to thrown in) could be a bad thing. It is a few minutes I take to myself several times a day to keep up relationships. That feels very worthwhile. I also use it to set up play dates and mom nights out with girlfriends. And I have ongoing conversations with some local moms that make me feel like I’m not alone when I’m at home with my kids doing laundry. All of that feels like a really good thing to me. Plus it means I almost never have to talk on the phone (I loathe talking on the phone).